1962-1966 / 1967-1970 (red/blue albums)

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby DylansMrJones » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:10 pm

Having just bought my first CD burner, I decided to 'make my own' 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 discs. I compiled it from the regular Beatles CDs, and it became very clear that the official CD releases of these sets is an absolute rip off. I never bought the official CDs.

First of all, I fit the entire RED album on disc 1. After YELLOW SUBMARINE there was enough room for STRAWBERRY, PENNY, LUCY and A DAY IN THE LIFE. I found that putting LUCY and A DAY before SGT and LITTLE HELP was beneficial for the timing. Disc 1 ends with A DAY, which seems to belong at the end of a disc anyway. Disc 2 opens with SGT PEPPER, HELP FROM MY FRIENDS and ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. At this point the rest of the original running order was used.

In order to fit the rest of this set on disc 2 I had to omit 2 songs from the track list. Although there really wasn't anything I was happy to remove, I decided to axe OB LA DI and OCTOPUS'S GARDEN.

The overall result is that 52 of the 54 tracks fit on two CD's. RIP OFF. EMI Records, well aware that nearly 80 minutes fits on a disc - opted for making it unneccesarily EXPENSIVE by makeing it a pair of 2 CD sets. BOOO!!!

I say they should scrap the current RED & BLUE albums, and release an expanded edition as a 3 CD set. Add about 65 minutes worth of additional material, and sell it for a list price of $36.98. The title could be changed to 1962-1970.

What songs would you add? I would stay with the "no cover songs" approach. Among the songs that deserve to be included are: HEY BULLDOG, IF I NEEDED SOMEONE, DEAR PRUDENCE, BLACKBIRD, I SAW HER STANDING THERE and IF I FELL, to name just a few...
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:10 pm

Having just bought my first CD burner, I decided to 'make my own' 1962-1966 and 1967-1970 discs. I compiled it from the regular Beatles CDs, and it became very clear that the official CD releases of these sets is an absolute rip off. I never bought the official CDs.

First of all, I fit the entire RED album on disc 1. After YELLOW SUBMARINE there was enough room for STRAWBERRY, PENNY, LUCY and A DAY IN THE LIFE. I found that putting LUCY and A DAY before SGT and LITTLE HELP was beneficial for the timing. Disc 1 ends with A DAY, which seems to belong at the end of a disc anyway. Disc 2 opens with SGT PEPPER, HELP FROM MY FRIENDS and ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. At this point the rest of the original running order was used.

In order to fit the rest of this set on disc 2 I had to omit 2 songs from the track list. Although there really wasn't anything I was happy to remove, I decided to axe OB LA DI and OCTOPUS'S GARDEN.

The overall result is that 52 of the 54 tracks fit on two CD's. RIP OFF. EMI Records, well aware that nearly 80 minutes fits on a disc - opted for making it unneccesarily EXPENSIVE by makeing it a pair of 2 CD sets. BOOO!!!

I say they should scrap the current RED & BLUE albums, and release an expanded edition as a 3 CD set. Add about 65 minutes worth of additional material, and sell it for a list price of $36.98. The title could be changed to 1962-1970.

What songs would you add? I would stay with the "no cover songs" approach. Among the songs that deserve to be included are: HEY BULLDOG, IF I NEEDED SOMEONE, DEAR PRUDENCE, BLACKBIRD, I SAW HER STANDING THERE and IF I FELL, to name just a few...
DylansMrJones

Postby Steve-o » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:45 pm

Good Idea. But....this was a package that is well known and has sold well over the years. I think it came out in the eraly 70's, first on vinyl of course. I would love for them to change it, but, of sourse, the greed lords of capitol won't be doing that anytime soon. And what the heck..with burners, we can always make our own.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby LadyDi4476 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:21 pm

This disc set was originally released in 1973 before CD's were ever thought of. If it were to be released again today I would like to think they would try to fit more songs per disc. Still it's one of the first cds I ever purchased of the beatles, so I think it's a fine complilation. I would have added Twist & Shout, This Boy, Golden Slumbers and a few other tunes however.

p.s. - this is my first post! :)
LadyDi4476

Postby paja » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:39 pm

[:D]WELCOME LadyDi!!!![:D]
paja

Postby LadyDi4476 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:38 pm

thanks! [:D]
LadyDi4476

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions