Questions about the Esher demos

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Questions about the Esher demos

Postby Child Of Nature » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:46 pm

At some point in 68' the Fab 4 gathered at George's Esher estate, and layed down accoustic demos of songs that would later be recorded for the White Album.

A tape of this session leaked out into the bootleg scene years ago, and these accoustic demos of the white album songs are hugely popular..

A few songs from this jam pooped up on Anthology 3- "Piggies", "Honey Pie" and "Glass Onion".

I was stunned the accousitc "Revolution" and "Child Of Nature" were not included on Anthology.
I have 3 questions-

*Do we know the exact date as to when the demos were recorded?

*Does Paul or Ringo plan to release the complete 'Esher semos' session?

*And why the heck wasnt 'Child Of Nature' used on Anthology or the Lennon box set? This early incarnation of 'Jealous Guy' certainly warrents an offical release.

Any other fans of the 'Esher demos'?

peace

Child Of Nature
Child Of Nature

Postby Steve-o » Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:56 am

quote:Originally posted by Child Of Nature
A few songs from this jam pooped up on Anthology 3I'm sure Red Rose will be responding to this. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DylansMrJones » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:40 pm

One interesting aspect of the Esher demos is hearing John sing "not when he looked so fierce" instead of Yoko on BUNGALOW BILL. Personally, I'd like to see these May '68 demos released officially ~ all of them! It's also interesting to have an acoustic version of NOT GUILTY, as well as another George song - SOUR MILK SEA. Then there's the easier to digest version of WHAT'S THE NEW MARY JANE...And an early version of George's CIRCLES. These demos are essential, although I'm not really sure how much each of the Beatles participated on the tracks. I tend to think these are almost exclusively "solo" demos...And Ringo seems absent. Perhaps he helps out on the 'Mills Brothers' style scat orchestrations on HONEY PIE, or at very least he and the others may be singing the chorus on BUNGALOW BILL.
DylansMrJones

Postby sleepybomb » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:00 pm

the songs done at kinfauns were a group effort, altho there is no specifics other than they did it during may '68. the songs were mostly written during the sabbatical to india and they got together to prep the tunes for the next lp. luckily they decided to slip them on to one of the boys tape decks . . .
i really don't think the tapes will see the light of day on apple for quite awhile. as i see it apple is already behind on quite a few more important releases than the "white lp unplugged". they need to get a dvd of all the viddys, besides ALL the movies, a cd of b-sides . . . the list is long . . .
as for 'child of nature', it is quaint but not a real knock-out beatle-wise . . . it woulda been nicer on john's anthology.
. . . .and i love the demos, (i am playing right now!), my bootleg buddy gave me a tape of it in the late 80's and it has been in heavy rotation evere since!
oops . . . btw, glass onion off of anthology did not come from these tapes, it is john's home demo, (it was written after kinfauns), and the ver john did while geo. martin was on holiday.
and my fave parts are the little flubs, like in 'prudence' and paul's responses on 'tired'. these recordings still sound so fresh!
and what about 'not guilty', that tune had a history we never knew!
sleepybomb

Postby sleepybomb » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:57 pm

oh yeah, some of the tunes were done as solo demos, here is a link to the 'bootleg zone' page for the 'unsurpassed demos', which is the prob best ver of the tapes on cd . . .http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=yd008§ion=1 . . . this may help . . .
sleepybomb

Postby Brains » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:02 am

SleepyBomb, what is Kinfauns?

On http://www.allmusic.com it's called "Beatles Unplugged" and they really like it! I haven't got these recordings, does anyone have them who would be willing to copy them and send 'em to me? Thanks...
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions