Anthology Versions

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Grillo » Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:47 pm

[:p][8][;)][:(][:(!][xx(][:o)][;)][8)][V][xx(][?][^][8][B)][:0][:0][:)][:p][;)][8D][}:)][8][:(!][:(][;)][^][:(!][:X][^][:X][|)][8)][:)]
Reaally sorry, i know it has nothing to do. It´s only a stupid thing ive always wanted to do. Apologyze again.[xx(]
Grillo
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Brains » Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:09 am

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJonesThe ANTHOLOGY sets also allow us to hear some of the recordings that were failures. IF YOU'VE GOT TROUBLE suffers from some of the worst Beatles lyrics ever. The tune wasn't bad. Perhaps better lyrics would have saved it. THAT MEANS A LOT is awful. The production alone diminishes whatever this song could have been. The sound quality reminds me of the crap quality MAGIC BUS album by The Who, as released in the US. And if LOS PARANOIAS was more than just an ad-lib I would consider that a failed track as well. And is it me, or does anyone else find SHOUT annoying? Glad they never put SHOUT on one of their old LPs. And WHAT'S THE NEW MARY JANE is distinctly horrid while intriguing. I prefer the acoustic Esher demo of MARY JANE on my White Album demos boot.

But it's good to hear The Beatles' 'warts and all'. I love hearing their failures, just because it shows their human side.

I really like "That Means A Lot". Agreed on Los Paranoias, but you know it's not a serious track, it would really be awful if it were. Shout is nice to hear, but not nearly as good as their other RnR covers, so it's good they never released it. Mary Jane should have been on the White Album instead of Revolution 9. I've never heard the Esher demo.

There aren't any songs that are superior to the official versions imho. Of course if they were superior, they would have been the officially released versions [;)]?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby michael.riddles » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:09 am

Thanks for your comments, guys. I'm surprised no one else seems to like some of the Anthology versions better. I agree with the person who likes "That Means a Lot". If they had done a well-produced version it would have really helped "Help!", which I think is one of their lesser albums. Does anyone else love "Real Love"?

Mike
michael.riddles

Postby Steve-o » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:11 am

I love the following better than the originals(off the top of my head):

And I Love Her & I will

Most of the others are extremely interesting and fun. I LOVE Free as a Bird (the soaring harmonies!!!) and Real Love somewhat less.

My Fave track on all 3 anthologies is: Come and Get it
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:17 am

I love 'I Will' better than the original as well. Beautiful. Much more stripped down. I also love Free as a Bird more than Real Love. (Not that Real Love is bad, mind you!) I agree with you Michael about 'That Means A Lot'. I love that song. It's always been one of my top favorites from Anthology. And yes, I believe it would have helped Help! as well. Compared to other Beatles albums, Help is just OK, IMHO. I very rarely listen to it. And Come and Get It is definitely in my Top 5 of my favorite Anthology songs.
Ram1

Postby DylansMrJones » Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:56 am

I think THAT MEANS A LOT was a pretty good song, but the recording just has horrid production. A bit too much treble and echo for my tastes.

One track that really should have been on ANTHOLOGY 3 is the version of DON'T LET ME DOWN that was to be issued on the 'GET BACK' album - the one where John says "Hit it, Bill!" right before Billy Preston's closing piano solo. I also think a better version of I'VE GOT A FEELING should have been included. ANTHOLOGY 3 gives us an incomplete breakdown take. Originally that version of FEELING was recorded straight out of DIG A PONY without interuption. By removing DIG A PONY, Paul's "Yes he does now" at the beginning of FEELING seems senseless. He is responding to John's "All I want is you - Yes I do" that ended DIG A PONY.

The artificially a capella BECAUSE is rather fun. I'd like to see Apple/EMI come up with a whole CD of stuff like that.

MAILMAN BRING ME NO MORE BLUES is rather odd. Everytime I hear it I can imagine them playing REVOLUTION 1 to the tune instead. I wish they had.

I think the alternate version of I'M SO TIRED is just about as wonderful as the white album version.

As interesting as ELEANOR RIGBY without vocals may be, to me it suddenly is not a true Beatles recording, as we're left with only session musicians.

The REVOLVER and PEPPER outtakes are a wonderful asset to the ANTHOLOGY 2 set. There didn't seem to be much from this period circulating on decent sounding boots. I would have loved if they had included an alternate version of WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS. Poor Ringo is a bit under represented on the ANTHOLOGY sets. This is one of the most popular Ringo vocals, and it should have been included.

AND YOUR BIRD CAN SING is funny, but I wish they would have included the same take before John & Paul laughed all over it. The ideal solution would have been having both versions side by side.

One big let down with ANTHOLOGY 1 is the omission of anything from their 11 February 1963 session for their debut LP. I want to hear the 2nd take of TWIST AND SHOUT that John couldn't sing because his voice gave out after the fantastic first take. I think take 2 has a historical significance, and it's somewhat of an infamous moment.

As easy as it is to tear apart the 3 ANTHOLOGY sets, it's twice as easy to praise this wonderful collection. What a great gift this was to Beatles fans everywhere. I was pleased that they didn't make it into a 6 CD boxed set. That would have been too expensive for many fans.
DylansMrJones

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:37 pm

What I enjoy most about both Free As A Bird and Real Love is George's guitar work.

Did anyone note Paul playing Eleanor Rigby on acoustic guitar on the Anthology videos? I thought it was slick, that would have been a bonus if he'd done it on tour. I'd like to have that on CD.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by theDingle

Did anyone note Paul playing Eleanor Rigby on acoustic guitar on the Anthology videos? I thought it was slick, that would have been a bonus if he'd done it on tour.
[/font=Comic Sans MS][/b]

He did. During the acoustic set. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Ram1

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:16 pm

He did? Cool! Is it on BITUS? I haven't gotten BITUS, just have the TV broadcast.
theDingle

Postby Ram1 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:08 am

Yeah, he played it. It's on BITUS.
Ram1

Previous

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions