Anthology Versions

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Anthology Versions

Postby michael.riddles » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:46 pm

I recently got laid off from my job, but I'm actually still at a desk until next Friday. Don't worry, though, I'm not doing any actual work, just listening to CDs and reading forums like this. Today I brought in Anthologies 1, 2, & 3 to listen to. I hadn't listened to them much in the last few years. I thought I'd share which few songs I thought were actually superior in their early versions, as opposed to their original officially-released versions:

1. Norwegian Wood - I like the darker style and unusal chords in the double-tracked vocals in the A2 version

2. You Know My Name (Look up the Number) - it's nice to have it in stereo with the extra part - too bad they hacked the belching off the end, though

3. Across the Universe - A2 version is so much prettier than the wildlife version and Spector's LIB version is over-produced

4. Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da - I like the white album version, but love the A3 version - it's smoother and prettier - especially the la, la, la's in the chorus - I like the staccatto saxes, too

5. The Long and Winding Road - do I really have to explain why? - when I heard Spector was charged with murder last month I figured he was finally getting his due for what he did to this song - seriously, I like Spector's version, but the A3 version is much simpler and more enjoyable

That's it, really. The Beatles really did pick the best stuff to put on their albums for the most part. There's other great alternate versions that are almost as good as the original releases (While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Strawberry Fields) and songs that shouldn't have been left off albums in the 60s (Not Guilty). Any comments?

Mike
michael.riddles

Anthology Versions

Postby michael.riddles » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:46 pm

I recently got laid off from my job, but I'm actually still at a desk until next Friday. Don't worry, though, I'm not doing any actual work, just listening to CDs and reading forums like this. Today I brought in Anthologies 1, 2, & 3 to listen to. I hadn't listened to them much in the last few years. I thought I'd share which few songs I thought were actually superior in their early versions, as opposed to their original officially-released versions:

1. Norwegian Wood - I like the darker style and unusal chords in the double-tracked vocals in the A2 version

2. You Know My Name (Look up the Number) - it's nice to have it in stereo with the extra part - too bad they hacked the belching off the end, though

3. Across the Universe - A2 version is so much prettier than the wildlife version and Spector's LIB version is over-produced

4. Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da - I like the white album version, but love the A3 version - it's smoother and prettier - especially the la, la, la's in the chorus - I like the staccatto saxes, too

5. The Long and Winding Road - do I really have to explain why? - when I heard Spector was charged with murder last month I figured he was finally getting his due for what he did to this song - seriously, I like Spector's version, but the A3 version is much simpler and more enjoyable

That's it, really. The Beatles really did pick the best stuff to put on their albums for the most part. There's other great alternate versions that are almost as good as the original releases (While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Strawberry Fields) and songs that shouldn't have been left off albums in the 60s (Not Guilty). Any comments?

Mike
michael.riddles

Postby theDingle » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:40 pm

Sorry about the job, man, hope you manage OK in the interim. I got all my Anthologies off eBay (considerably cheap, of course). It was fun waiting a while after they were released before buying them. It was like the old time excitement of getting a new Beatles album.

I got a kick out of Paul's Rocky Raccoon blooper--(shminking of gin LOL).

The Stockholm performances on A1 were just what the booklet says: EXUBERANT. That's the Beatles I would have liked to have seen live.
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby DylansMrJones » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:28 am

The ANTHOLOGY series was wonderful. Few bands have ever given their fans so much unreleased vault material in such a short time. Between LIVE AT THE BBC, the 3 ANTHOLOGY sets and the cd singles, the Beatles' catalog must have doubled in playing time.

I wouldn't say that anything was better than the final versions, but there are some great alternates on these albums.

LIVE AT THE BBC has some great tunes that would have fit in well on many of their albums. TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS would have been a great addition to WITH THE BEATLES. I'LL BE ON MY WAY would have made a great spring 1963 single. SOME OTHER GUY could have and should have been on their PLEASE PLEASE ME album. A studio take of that track would have been fantastic. I FORGOT TO REMEMBER and A SHOT OF RHYTHM AND BLUES would have made BEATLES FOR SALE even better.

Getting to hear HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE, SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN, JOHNNY B GOODE, and NOTHIN' SHAKIN' is at last a chance to hear quality recordings of the same songs they played live in Hamburg. One of the highlights of BBC for me is the version of HONEY DON'T with John on lead vocal.

The BABY IT'S YOU cd single has smokin' versions of I'LL FOLLOW THE SUN and DEVIL IN HER HEART. Very nice.

My favorite tracks on ANTHOLOGY 1:
YOU CAN'T DO THAT, I'LL BE BACK, LEAVE MY KITTEN ALONE

The FREE AS A BIRD cd single has a fun version of THIS BOY, and a listenable short version of CHRISTMAS TIME (IS HERE AGAIN) plus a rather tight alternate of I SAW HER STANDING THERE.

ANTHOLOGY 2, highlights for me:
IT'S ONLY LOVE, PENNY LANE, ONLY A NORTHERN SONG, HELLO GOODBYE and the gorgeous version of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.

The REAL LOVE cd single had a nice alternate version of HERE THERE AND EVERYWHERE and a cool remix of YELLOW SUB with Ringo's spoken intro intact, and the sound effects brought foward in the mix.

ANTHOLOGY 3:
NOT GUILTY, I'M SO TIRED, CRY BABY CRY, THE LONG & WINDING ROAD, ALL THINGS MUST PASS, AIN'T SHE SWEET, COME TOGETHER, COME AND GET IT...Wonderful stuff, this, Agnes...

I'm still waiting for ANTHOLOGY 4, 5 & 6. I wonder how much is left that could actually be released and be as good as the ANTHOLOGY sets...
DylansMrJones

Postby theDingle » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:19 pm

Yes! Yes! I could do with 3 more volumes of the Anthology series.

I enjoyed the outakes on This Boy, too. The last time I watched the Anthology videos I realized they included that in the video.

I also enjoy the heavy guitar treatment on Hello Goodbye (guitar overkill as far as commercial release goes maybe) and the raw versions of Good Morning, Good Morning and I Am The Walrus.
theDingle

Postby megs » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:28 pm

quote:Originally posted by michael.riddles
I recently got laid[}:)][;)][:D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:10 pm

quote:Originally posted by megs
quote:Originally posted by michael.riddles
I recently got laid[}:)][;)][:D]
CHOKE!!!!, at first glance, but not really funny, considering his total first sentence. Here's to Mr Riddles getting back on the horse soon. Good luck Michael.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby paja » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:03 pm

I'll bet he wishes he did![:D][}:)][:p]
paja

Postby DylansMrJones » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:55 am

The ANTHOLOGY sets also allow us to hear some of the recordings that were failures. IF YOU'VE GOT TROUBLE suffers from some of the worst Beatles lyrics ever. The tune wasn't bad. Perhaps better lyrics would have saved it. THAT MEANS A LOT is awful. The production alone diminishes whatever this song could have been. The sound quality reminds me of the crap quality MAGIC BUS album by The Who, as released in the US. And if LOS PARANOIAS was more than just an ad-lib I would consider that a failed track as well. And is it me, or does anyone else find SHOUT annoying? Glad they never put SHOUT on one of their old LPs. And WHAT'S THE NEW MARY JANE is distinctly horrid while intriguing. I prefer the acoustic Esher demo of MARY JANE on my White Album demos boot.

But it's good to hear The Beatles' 'warts and all'. I love hearing their failures, just because it shows their human side.
DylansMrJones

Postby Ram1 » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:01 pm

Michael, it's great to see you back, man. We've missed your elaborate lists. Please visit more often!! But good luck with your job search, man. I know how tough it can be. Hang in there.
Ram1

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions