Macca on drums

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:42 pm

Ram1---That book IS awesome---I may have gotten the info I posted above from another book, though, the more I think about it. That's why I love this forum. It forces me to dig stuff up and enjoy it again---
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 18, 2002 5:01 pm

Exactly. I totally forgot I even had that book, until you brought it up. But you know what....sometimes it's cool to not bother with something for awhile, then listen to, or read it again. It makes it seem fresh and you re-live the magic all over again!! For example, I'll put on, say, Rubber Soul. I'll be so into the album that I'll listen to it over and over again until I've "lost interest" in it. It'll sit on my shelf for a really long time, while I start digging another album. Then, after a few months go by, I'll dig out Rubber Soul again, and it's so refreshing and "new." I do that with a lot of stuff. Which reminds me....I haven't listened to the Please Please Me LP in AGES....

Edited by - Ram1 on 06/18/2002 17:03:45
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:41 pm

It's always a pleasure reviewing old Beatles albums indeed. I ever have a good trip to the good old times listening to'em.
About Paul's drumming I think that he plays very well, not in a phenomenal way, but in a correct way. It sounds good to me, specially on BOTR and MACCA 1. On "Dear Prudence" track in Beatles-era I think no one missed Ringo.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:38 pm

Ram--I totaly agree. I do that with the albums too. The nice luxury that we have is that there's so many of them to choose from. Funny you should mention Please Please Me. It may be a wierd choice, but my fav lennon vocal is on Baby It's You---tremendous. I can pretty much put that album on and 33 minutes later, it's time to listen to it again--and to think it was recorded in like 16 hours or something. Awesome.....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:23 pm

Steve, we again totally agree! I've ALWAYS LOVED Lennon's vocals on 'Baby It's You.' And also 'Anna.' Obviously, Paul is my favorite Beatle singer. BUT, John definitely had the edge when it came to late-50's/early-60's sounding ballads. He just had that voice. I could see JL onstage at a 50s prom like in 'Back to the Future' seranading da ladies.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:08 pm

Ram---YES! Anna---the fade out is just amazing. He did have that gift.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:20 am

quote:
Well Liam, I didn't know about that(Spector's LIB version) Paul and Ringo played drums together. So was the single version a George(Martin)'s production? I thought both are Spector's(with his "Wall of Sound")production!

The single version, with the female backing singers, is George Martin's version.

The album version, with heavier guitar and drums, was produced by Phil Spector.

The single version (GM) is the more readily available, being on the Blue Album, Past Masters 2, and of course, on "1".

Both versions are 10/10 for me. I alternate as to which I prefer.

But I have played both versions to a few people, to compare them - and everyone I've played both versions to has preferred the Phil Spector version, interestingly enough.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:28 am

Oh yeah! You're correct!! Got it!! Now I reminded that "Let it be" movie was made in early 69, and the single is little different indeed.
After that, Paul gave the tapes to Spector could edit'em in a album version and he added the female chorus(the "wall of sound")as he also did on "TLAWR" and "NGCMW". For Paul's turn, he thought Spector spoiled the songs with his WOS. I read it in "Many year from now". But I didn't see anywhere the fact that Paul and Ringo did play together on LIB. Or maybe I did see it somewhere and I don't remmember.
And what d'ya think'bout the Spector's WOS?

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:52 am

Firstly, I can't for the life of me think what you mean by NGCMW

As for Spector's Wall Of Sound, well, it works in parts, but not others. The orchestra comes in too quickly on TLAWR. Across The Universe, I prefer the Spector version, actually. I heard the GM version first, and wasn't overly enamoured by it, then a few years later, heard the PS version and it became one of my fave Beatles songs. As for Let It Be, that song is fantastic no matter which version you have - I think I prefer the PS version slightly, but there's nothing in it.

About Paul & Ringo both playing drums on the song, I saw it in a little book that details all of The Beatles' songs in a short paragraph each. It slagged PS off, and said the GM version made "much more conservative choices" and the like . . .

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:05 am

quote:
Firstly, I can't for the life of me think what you mean by NGCMW

Oh God...(laughing)... Do you believe it?? It occured a "blank" in my mind 'cos I meant NGCMW(Nothing's Gonna Change My World) as "Across the Universe"(I just forget it right now)!! Shame on me!! You can laugh at me!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle