Macca on drums

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Macca on drums

Postby dakota » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:46 pm

Macca has played drums on several of his solo and Wings recordings. When it came to Beatle recordings he managed to unseat Ringo on a few songs. To my knowledge it's widely accepted that Macca played drums on BACK IN THE USSR...DEAR PRUDENCE...THE BALLAD OF J&Y.... What other songs do ya believe her drummed on?

How good of a drummer do you think Macca is?
dakota

Macca on drums

Postby dakota » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:46 pm

Macca has played drums on several of his solo and Wings recordings. When it came to Beatle recordings he managed to unseat Ringo on a few songs. To my knowledge it's widely accepted that Macca played drums on BACK IN THE USSR...DEAR PRUDENCE...THE BALLAD OF J&Y.... What other songs do ya believe her drummed on?

How good of a drummer do you think Macca is?
dakota

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:52 am

That's right... When Ringo temporaly got out of the band because he was bored and feeling useless for the group, Paul took seat on drums and played those songs on White Album. I could find some others: "Wild Honey Pie"; "Martha my Dear" and "Why don't we do it in the road?(with Ringo)". And on the single "TBOJY", requestesd by John, beyond drums, he played piano and did the backing vocal just for solidarity for him. George and Ringo wasn't present. I don't know if there's another track he played drums.
"The Who"'s Keith Moon once asked to Paul who was played drums on BOTR album and wonder how was a pretty good drummer, Paul replied: "Well...by chance, it was just me!".

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:33 am

I've read that Paul AND Ringo play drums on Phil Spector's version of Let It Be . . . it's funny, I go in spurts as to which version of the song I prefer. Generally, I'd say the Spector mix - of note, everybody that I have played both versions to seems to prefer the Spector version, incidentally

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:17 pm

[quote]
That's right... When Ringo temporaly got out of the band because he was bored and feeling useless for the group, Paul took seat on drums and played those songs on White Album. I could find some others: "Wild Honey Pie"; "Martha my Dear" and "Why don't we do it in the road?(with Ringo)". And on the single "TBOJY", requestesd by John, beyond drums, he played piano and did the backing vocal just for solidarity for him. George and Ringo wasn't present.

...George and Ringo weren't present( just correcting myself, sorry)...
Well Liam, I didn't know about that(Spector's LIB version) Paul and Ringo played drums together. So was the single version a George(Martin)'s production? I thought both are Spector's(with his "Wall of Sound")production!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dakota » Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:48 pm

I don't think that Paul played drums on anything on let it be LP.

WHY DON'T WE DO IT ON THE ROAD feature Paul on piano/bass and Ringo on drums.

WILD HONEY PIE, I could Paul doing the drums on that,But with MARTHA MY DEAR?!?!!?
dakota

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:15 pm

Fellow, I found those in the swedish site "The Beatles Unofficial Lyrics Archive":
http://tubla9cy.com/wainfo.htm
All recordings data is over there.
And I read some stuffs in the "Many Years From Now" book I think.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:32 pm

I've got the Official Recording book or whatever---I'll check those out--interesting. Alot of stuff doesn't wind up in the final mix. Paul did alot of "guide" drum parts when Ringo wasn't there, but on most of those, Sir George added Mr Starkey later. That's what I remember from that book.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:33 pm

Steve, I have that too. I need to dig that book out. Haven't read through it in a long time. Great, isn't it?
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:38 pm

Well, if it's an official book I have to believe it.
Thank you fellow.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Next

Return to Paul as a Beatle