Ringo's top albums

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Ringo's top albums

Postby maccastheman » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:30 pm

Here's a list of my top 5 Ringo Starr albums:

1. Ringo(w/ the bonus tracks "It Don't Come Easy" and "Early 1970") - Very Beatlesque and infectious. I really put "It Don't Come Easy" up there with some of Wing's best singles from the '70s. I also like "Photograph," "Six O'Clock(written by Macca!!!)," and "You're Sixteen." Great album. I love Paul and Linda's backing vocals on "You're Sixteen." "Early 1970" brilliantly wraps up what Ringo is all about. "I'm the Greatest" is hilarious.

2. Good Night Vienna(w/the bonus track "Back off Boogaloo") Excellent follow-up to Ringo. The "No No" song is very charming. I like his cover of "Only You" as well. The title track is another good John composition.

3. Time Takes Time - Somewhat of a comeback. This was his first album after a long absence from the studio. "Weight of the World" is such an uplifting song. If you are ever depressed, listen to this one. I like the video for WOTW, too. A very "feel good" album.

4. Verticle Man - Ringo's much-improved songwriting was showcased on this album. I like the sing-a-longs. ("La Di Da," the "Love Me Do" remake, etc.) George plays excellent slide on "King of Broken Hearts."

5. Storytellers - Ringo's best live album. Better than any of the All-Star live albums. It's great to hear him performing "Don't Pass Me By," "Octopus's Garden," and all of his '70s hits. The songs from Verticle Man sound excellent next to all of his classics. Ringo is an excellent storyteller as well. I love the line about George wanting to throw all of the references to God into "It Don't Come Easy." Ringo said he told George, "YOU sing about God." Very funny.

One thing I've always thought is that Ringo is more Paul's soul-brother than George or John when it comes to songwriting. Ringo is much more "Happy-go-lucky" than Paul, but both write positive, uplifting songs.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:42 pm

Agreed on Ringo's 4 top albums, because I don't have the Storytellers album... I liked much Ringo's All Star Band but on DVD, with all those guest stars as Randy Bachman, Gary Brooker, Jack Bruce, Joe Walsh, Dr.John, Peter Frampton, etc...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Aujouret » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:26 pm

About your assessment of Ringo.
I know he was always closest to George from the begining and they are both funny guys. Richie says John had the biggest heart of any of the Beatles. People say Paul is the most reserved and hardest to get to know, which is not the way he appears. Just shows you how looks are deceiving.
Oh, maccas, I think your reviews of the albums is very good.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:36 pm

I know Ringo was very close to George as far as friendship is concerned, but his songwriting seems a lot closer to Paul's than John or George's. I guess it's because he always writes such positive stuff. (Especially here lately)
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:34 am

I'm a huge fan of the RINGO album. When it was new Ringo took the music world by surprise with this one. No one could have predicted Ringo to do an album that would include 3 big hit singles, one right after another. PHOTOGRAPH, YOU'RE SIXTEEN and OH MY MY were hugely popular. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing at least one of these on the radio at the time.

The only really obnoxious noise on this album is DEVIL WOMAN. My favorite tracks on this album? I'M THE GREATEST (composed by and featuring John Lennon), PHOTOGRAPH (composed by George and Ringo, featuring George), SUNSHINE LIFE FOR ME (composed by George and featuring George as well as Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, David Bromberg & more) STEP LIGHTLY (the 'When I'm 64' of this 'Pepperesque' production?), SIX O'CLOCK (a pretty ballad composed by Paul McCartney, and featuring Paul & Linda) and the album's 'goodnight everybody' song YOU AND ME (BABE)(composed by Harrison and Mal Evans).

The CD adds IT DON'T COME EASY and its' B side EARLY 1970, which is basically Ringo singing sadly, but hopefully about the Beatles' gone separate ways. The CD also adds the throw away track DOWN AND OUT, which was the B side of PHOTOGRAPH.

The follow up album GOODNIGHT VIENNA seemed to lack the sparkle that RINGO had.
DylansMrJones

Postby maccastheman » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:55 pm

quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
Here's a list of my top 5 Ringo Starr albums:

1. Ringo(w/ the bonus tracks "It Don't Come Easy" and "Early 1970") - Very Beatlesque and infectious. I really put "It Don't Come Easy" up there with some of Wing's best singles from the '70s. I also like "Photograph," "Six O'Clock(written by Macca!!!)," and "You're Sixteen." Great album. I love Paul and Linda's backing vocals on "You're Sixteen." "Early 1970" brilliantly wraps up what Ringo is all about. "I'm the Greatest" is hilarious.

2. Good Night Vienna(w/the bonus track "Back off Boogaloo") Excellent follow-up to Ringo. The "No No" song is very charming. I like his cover of "Only You" as well. The title track is another good John composition.

3. Time Takes Time - Somewhat of a comeback. This was his first album after a long absence from the studio. "Weight of the World" is such an uplifting song. If you are ever depressed, listen to this one. I like the video for WOTW, too. A very "feel good" album.

4. Verticle Man - Ringo's much-improved songwriting was showcased on this album. I like the sing-a-longs. ("La Di Da," the "Love Me Do" remake, etc.) George plays excellent slide on "King of Broken Hearts."

5. Storytellers - Ringo's best live album. Better than any of the All-Star live albums. It's great to hear him performing "Don't Pass Me By," "Octopus's Garden," and all of his '70s hits. The songs from Verticle Man sound excellent next to all of his classics. Ringo is an excellent storyteller as well. I love the line about George wanting to throw all of the references to God into "It Don't Come Easy." Ringo said he told George, "YOU sing about God." Very funny.

One thing I've always thought is that Ringo is more Paul's soul-brother than George or John when it comes to songwriting. Ringo is much more "Happy-go-lucky" than Paul, but both write positive, uplifting songs.

I think Ringorama fits in with the above-mentioned album. Ringo is on a roll so to speak. (Please forgive the pun!)

He had a string of great albums in the early to mid '70s with Ringo and Goodnight Vienna, and now he's had a string of great albums from the past decade. (Time Takes Time, Verticle Man, and Ringorama)
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Ringo's top albums

Postby Mark Rink » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:07 pm

here are my top 5 Ringo cd's

1.Old Wave
2.Choose Love
3.Ringo Rama
4.Time Takes Time
5.Vertical Man

actually I love them all still waiting for Liverpool 8 and Y-Not to grow on me :-BD
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby bonovox66 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Mark Rink wrote:here are my top 5 Ringo cd's

1.Old Wave
2.Choose Love
3.Ringo Rama
4.Time Takes Time
5.Vertical Man

actually I love them all still waiting for Liverpool 8 and Y-Not to grow on me :-BD

Loved Liverpool 8, but still haven't gotten to into Y-Not.

It would be hard for me to pick a top five. I actually enjoy all of his albums with Y-not being one of the few exceptions (I hope it grows on me). So why it would be hard for me to pick a top 5, I would say Goodnight Vienna is my all time favorite.

bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 am

I actually think Paul and Ringo seem to have a lot of tension (i.e. Larry King Live appearance) and have grown pretty tired of one another.

If one were to diagram the Beatles relationships...

Paul was closest to John, then Ringo then George
John was closest to Paul, then Ringo then George
George was closest to Ringo, then John then Paul
Ringo was closest to George, then John then Paul
(Paul replacing Ringo's drum parts, etc)
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Rink » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:35 pm

jgkojak wrote:I actually think Paul and Ringo seem to have a lot of tension (i.e. Larry King Live appearance) and have grown pretty tired of one another.

If one were to diagram the Beatles relationships...

Paul was closest to John, then Ringo then George
John was closest to Paul, then Ringo then George
George was closest to Ringo, then John then Paul
Ringo was closest to George, then John then Paul
(Paul replacing Ringo's drum parts, etc)

I agree with you jgkojak I think they look very boring on stage.There timing is somewhat off why don't Paul and Ringo just stay away from each other and make us all happy :lol:
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to RINGO