If you like good music & Macca...

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:22 pm

I agree Wilson is still a great song-writer. As a performer, he is very uncomfortable on stage. In fact, even in the mid 60's, he was very uptight on stage. At the Prince's trust concert, he was a mask of pain, confusion, and sheer terror.

It's funny because Brian W was a start Jock in High School in California. But, a combination of drugs, Lsd use, and an unbelievable abusive and bastard of a father ruined his life. I am proud that Brian is alive, well, and it seems reasonably happy but he has survived a river of pain -
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:49 am

I just agree "Pet Sounds" is pretty cool!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Brains » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:50 am

Pet Sounds is a great album. The songs are terrific,

BUT...

the production is hopelessly outdated and overdone. The sound quality isn't too good either. Pity he (or they) didn't do this album some years later (with better recording equipment) and with other arrangements. The vocals are the best ever, but the instruments are too slick.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:47 am

quote:
his voice is not even near what it once was. (Which is sad because he had probably the best voice in all of rock music.)

Have to disagree. My vote goes to Freddie Mercury, every time!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:48 pm

Hmm...well I don't know man. It's really tough to say. Freddie Mercury...wow..the man was AMAZING!!! But I have a good amount of Beach Boys material, and well, Brian Wilson is just phenomenal. Not just with his singing, but the vocal arrangements as well. I mean, the guy's a total genius. I think the B. Boys were really the first ROCK group to make vocal arrangements like that popular. Brian Wilson/The Beach Boys, vocally, rivaled ANYTHING The Beatles ever did. And many times even better.
Ram1

Postby Brains » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:09 pm

Oh yes, they're definately better vocally. Just listen to the outro of God Only Knows. It's just perfection.

The Beatles were good too: This Boy, Because... But I think it's almost impossible to better the Beach Boys' arrangements.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dakota » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:51 pm

"If you like good music & Macca"..........How about....If you hate bad music & Yoko.....LOL
dakota

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:28 am

I really must get my hands on some Beach Boys stuff - and some Rolling Stones. I think I know where I'm gonna be spending my student loan next term!

Oh, and Ram1 - when I say Freddie, I am referring to the tone of his voice, and the range the guy had. Unbeatable. As in, I am looking solely at lead vocals. I am not talking about harmony arrangements - they are a wee bit complicated for me at the mo, given that I have no-one to sing with . . .

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions