Recent Chart Success . . .

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:53 am

Well, that's promising, at least. There were people of all ages at the Bryan Adams concert I saw in march (brilliant!), so if only the media and the record companies can start seeing the light, and stop releasing all the rubbish that they do, then maybe . . . please!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby darkeyes » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:21 pm

I'll never forget calling the Top 40 radio station in NY in the summer of 1989 to request "My Brave Face"..it was in the top 20 at the time...and the DJ laughed at me...(New Kids on the Block must have been all the rage back then)...of course this same station was giving away tickets to the 1989 concert at the garden in december of 1989...ironic.

The problem in the states is the radio stations...if a single is granted heavy air play...it will be a sure success..if not...forget it.

All of Macca's recent albums have had little or no Top 40 air time....its amazing Flaming Pie sold as well as it did.
darkeyes

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:25 pm

Must have been word of mouth, then - because it really is one of the best albums by anybody ever! My fave Paul solo album, in fact probably my fave Beatle-related album full stop (as in all solo AND BEATLES albums).

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:27 pm

quote:
"My Brave Face"..it was in the top 20 at the time...

You sure? You're in the US, right? All chart info I've seen says it peaked at no25 - but it DID make the top 20 here in the UK - just, at no18. Five years earlier, and it would have been guaranteed a place in the top 5 at least . . . oh, for the days when good music was popular among the public . . . *sigh*

Liam OSM

Postby darkeyes » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:42 pm

quote:
quote:
"My Brave Face"..it was in the top 20 at the time...

You sure? You're in the US, right? All chart info I've seen says it peaked at no25 - but it DID make the top 20 here in the UK - just, at no18. Five years earlier, and it would have been guaranteed a place in the top 5 at least . . . oh, for the days when good music was popular among the public . . . *sigh*

I may be wrong about the chart position...25 seems possible...but my point is that it was not unreasonable to request a McCartney song at #25 on the charts on a Top 40 station.
darkeyes

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:07 am

Indeed. Hell, it doesn't matter WHERE he is in the charts, it's not unreasonable to request a McCartney song FULL STOP!!!!!

Liam OSM

Postby JettRyder » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:46 am

I too hope that another musical revolution of sorts will surface to replace the Pepsi girl Britney Spears and the Backdoor Boy wannabes. I do believe that if the youth of today were exposed to good music as we know it, they would subscribe to it. My 11 year old son and my 10 year old daughter both like the Beatles, the Beach Boys, as well as other 70s to 90s groups that I listen to. They just need to be educated in the ways of "decent, upstanding, wholesome rocknroll" as we were. By the way, I probably can't wait too much longer for another revolution because I'm closing in on 50 years of age.

"I remember when rock was young, me and Suzy had so much fun"
JettRyder

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:50 am

Tell me about it. I had to wade through so much rubbishy nothingy "music" last year, it's untrue. Nobody that I lived with had much in the way of musical taste, 'sides myself of course . . . I pride myself on my musical taste

Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:16 pm

Well, unfortunely Paul even still being a big star in Brazil, he doesn't sell so much over here. There's here a huge fans including the young people, but the really Paul's success apex over here was in 73 to 77(RRSW to WOA)when he got the Brazilian Top 10 several times(My Love single sold above 1 million as the same BOTR did it, that's awesome here to a foreign singer). After that period he got up and downs on the charts quite unstablely.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:23 am

Know the feeling. Last time he got in the top 20 over here was back in 1989 with My Brave Face and This One - both reaching no18. They'd have been top5 for sure back in the 70s . . . *sigh*

Liam OSM

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions