Pauls cigarette removed from Abbey Road cover

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:01 pm

could you imagine if they edited out all of the cigarettes in the pictures that were taken of the beatles back in the day? they all smoked like chimneys back then. Just not very logical.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Aujouret » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:29 pm

I liked Two Virgins' cover. [:)] It was fun and John just wanted to shock people anyway and get attention. He did the same thing with AL the morning he was murdered. (The RS cover)
Yeah, I remember when Album covers were art and I miss that so much.
They were beautiful. Even now I am loathe to part with my old albums because of the covers.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:33 pm

I've been on a "Vinyl Rampage" lately because of that.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:37 pm

I love LP's. But not that cover---I can take John, (I just chuckle at him and look away) frankly, but not the gravity challenged Bin-Ono. YIKES!!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:21 pm

That sounds ridiculous indeed, 'cos since I was a little boy EVER saw films, magazines, outdoors, TV announcers, people around me(including my own dad, but he quit 35 yrs.ago)with cigarettes, cigars and similars and I NEVER wanted even to experience those things...
So can't we see anymore Humphrey Bogart, Marlene Dietrich, Rita Hayworth, Cary Grant and many other classic films with smoking scenes?? Ha-ha-ha don't make me laugh!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:31 pm

quote:Originally posted by Thomas
Thanks to the Anti Smoking Lobbysits in , what some people think, the greatest country on earth, the USA,

Don't knock the country, Tom, just because of an issue like this. You didn't have to put that comment in there. But anyway, I agree. Just the idea of deleting the cigarette is absurd beyond belief. Unreal.
Ram1

Postby Aujouret » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:01 am

I understand Apple spokeperson now says the poster people got carried away deleting Paul's ciggie. The spokesperson says Abbey Road won't be changed. But the cover of the single of Real Love deleted the smokes from that old photo of The Beatles. Also the reissue of I Wanna Hold Your Hand airbrushed Paul's ciggie for the cover of that single. I've got both of those singles.
I'm interested in what Paul has to say about this...
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:26 am

On the AR cover, it's such a small detail anyway, does it really matter?
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Aujouret » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:29 am

It is a small thing, Liam, but it does get to be kinda wierd, especially when you are looking at the old photos and their hands had ciggies before and now there's just this hand sticking out! [:p]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby optic » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:46 pm

Why does it matter if the ciggies are removed or not? Simon recently did the same thing with an album cover. Sooner or later, cigarettes will be banned anyway and it won't matter. After all, what does smoking add value - except for the rebel type of image?
optic

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions