Hidden gems

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby darkeyes » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:00 pm

SGTSYH appeared on Back To The Egg in 1979...performed with the Rockestra Lineup...great little ending with Macca playing a cool bass riff on his Rickenbacker while John Bonham plays a little shuffle beat on drums...what a rhythm section!
darkeyes

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:04 pm

Oh, god, of course! Now that rings a bell! Just been a while since I last heard Back To The Egg - and while it has a fair few decent songs on there, the only song I absolutely love to bits is "Old Siam Sir" - Wings' answer to Eleanor Rigby, I reckon (don't you think that the lady Paul describes in the song sounds a lot like Ms Rigby?). Oh, and I do like the Rockestra Theme a lot, too!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:59 pm

I have mixed feelings about Back to the Egg. There are some songs on it that I think are really fabulous, and then others that I think are, well, not exactly weak, but definitely not great. Among my favorites...Spin it On, Old Siam Sir, Arrow Through Me (underrated I think), Rockestra (just a bit too short for me), and Baby's request. But Egg just doesn't grab me the same way other Wings albums do.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:13 am

Can't really argue with much there, Ram1 - but I don't go a bundle on "Arrow Through Me" - it's one of those that I don't think Paul got quite right, and really could have been a lot better. The melody, I feel, has something missing - I think it should have been a little different . . . oh well . . .

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby darkeyes » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:15 am

how about Back On My Feet as a hidden gem??

Love that one.
darkeyes

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:47 am

Definitely! I've loved it since I first heard it! It's good enough to have been a single in its own right! Just imagine Press To Play with Once Upon A Long Ago AND Back On My Feet on it!

Liam OSM

Postby Klunk » Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:36 pm

Just off the top of me head!

Dear Friend
Tomorrow
Wanderlust
Getting Closer
One of These Days
Winedark Open Sea
Souvenir
Monkberry Moon Delight
Sally G
Yvonne (left off Press..)
Love in Song

I'm sure I've missed loads. A lot of people have mentioned Single Pigeon I've never heard of it, what album is it on? Oh yeah Warm and Beautiful!

If you want it, Come and get it!
Klunk

Postby The Man » Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:44 pm

I've always been sympathetic to Flying To My Home as a hidden gem. It first appeared as the B-side to My Brave Face and when I first heard Flowers In the Dirt I could not help but wonder how the hell tracks such as Distractions and How Many People were included on the album ahead of it.
The Man

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:00 am

Single Pigeon is on Red Rose Speedway........

Edited by - stevew628 on 06/23/2002 03:00:54
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:15 am

quote:
I've always been sympathetic to Flying To My Home as a hidden gem. It first appeared as the B-side to My Brave Face and when I first heard Flowers In the Dirt I could not help but wonder how the hell tracks such as Distractions and How Many People were included on the album ahead of it.

FTMH is a good song, well up to standard, but the vocals don't really sound very Macca-like, do they?

And FITD doesn't have a single weak track on it!

Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions