First encounter with the Beatles

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby dakota » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:43 pm

I was born Feb 2 1964. That was about 10 or 11 days prior to the Beatles first Ed Sullivan appearance. Mum recalls having me home from the hospital and being fixated on the TV screen with mild curiosity about this new "pop/combo" group from England that she'd been hearing about from TV commercials. She says she remembers watching the original broadcast. I must have been nearby in a playpen or stroller, not aware of what was taking place.
dakota

Postby dakota » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:43 pm

I was born Feb 2 1964. That was about 10 or 11 days prior to the Beatles first Ed Sullivan appearance. Mum recalls having me home from the hospital and being fixated on the TV screen with mild curiosity about this new "pop/combo" group from England that she'd been hearing about from TV commercials. She says she remembers watching the original broadcast. I must have been nearby in a playpen or stroller, not aware of what was taking place.
dakota

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:12 pm

Actually, closer than that, Dakota. The first Sullivan appearance was on the 9th. So you were born exactly a week before!
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:21 pm

That explains his horrible acne throughout the 60s. His friends used to call him 'Pizza Face'!
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:35 pm

Gotta love old Ed, but I thought it was hilarious his reaction when The Doors played 'Light My Fire' after Ed 'forbade' Jim to sing the word 'higher.' After the song was over, (which was an amazing performance by the way), the camera pans back at Ed and his face looks like he just crapped his pants while at the same time somebody put down his mother. Of course The Doors were banned from ever playing the show again, but I thought that was hilarious. (Not to mention the people who were apalled when they saw Jimbo on live television in his leather pants with obviously no underwear on! 'Little Jimmy' was saluting America that night!)

Edited by - Ram1 on 06/01/2002 23:35:48
Ram1

Postby heyjude65 » Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:43 am

I was born Feb 5, 1965. Almost one full year after the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan. My brother and sister are quite a bit older than me, so as a toddler I remember well hearing Beatles tunes played over and over again by both of them. My sister was always more into their earlier recordings, but my brother loved it all. When I was 9, my brother (at age 24) moved out to get his own pad. He left behind a few of his 45's. I was ripe for getting into music at that point and so I started spinning these 45's. The first songs that grabbed me were I Want to Hold Your Hand and Twist and Shout. I listened to them over and over and danced around the room. Then I played the song that to this day still blows me away. I sat and listened to Hey Jude...........need I say more, I was hooked!!!
heyjude65

Postby dakota » Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:33 pm

My first real introduction to The Fabs occurred sometime during '72. I arrive at this date because I distinctly remember when the red & blue greatest hits first hit the record stores. I've read in books that the release date of those 2 LP's were April '73. I remember that I'd been a fan for about a year at that point.

My encounter circa '72 was a day when my family went to go visit my 2nd generation aunt and cousin's house in L.A.. Both of 'em were big fans who were tipped off that I like music and was talking guitar lessons(I was 8 yrs old). My cousin gave me her used copy of MEET THE BEATLES. I took the album home with mild curiosity. After all, in my mind at the time, the only band for me was the Partridge Family...lol.
When I put the LP on my child's quality record player I was moved. At the time I probably couldn't put into words why I like their sound so much. But upon reflection I would say that it was the energy and melody combined they attracted me to their sound.

It wasn't too long that I got my parents and aunt or whoever to buy more LPs whenever I could talk 'em into it.

By the way, I recall that my grandma bought me the red greatest hits LP. It was at a store called Gemco. Does anyone remember that store?...lol
dakota

Postby scrodfish256 » Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:31 pm

I was at a party where I met my husband. He had his guitar and was singing some songs. He sang "i wanna hold your hand" And I said, "thats cool song, who sings it?" He looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "the beatles". That was in 1995, It wasn't my first encounter, but from that point on I had to find out everything I could about them.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JettRyder » Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:46 am

I was born in 1954, got a record player when I was 3, played my mom's 45 rpm rocknroll records on her hi fi, then got reprimanded in kindergarten for being obsessed with the classroom record player (and for bringing in those despicable rocknroll records).
Elvis Presley's music had taken a dive (thanks to Colonel Parker) and there really wasn't a lot of rocknroll to choose from.
Then in February of 1964 I watched this group on Ed Sullivan perform three songs, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Please Please Me, and Twist and Shout. I realized at that moment that music would never be the same. Amen.
JettRyder

Postby dsnito » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:23 pm

Well, I can say that the Beatles were revealed to my ears when I was near 7, circa 1969, and they were in breakup course, but at that age I hadn't notion for these stuffs... I just can remmember the songs that was playing on my dad's radio like "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da", "Come together", "Get back","Something", etc. plus their early hits "Please please me", "She loves you"(this one made all the early Beatles songs in Brazil known as "ié-ié-ié" refering to the "yeah-yeah-yeah" as a song rhythm, ain't it funny?), and stuffs like these, and I thought how cool are the way these guys sing and play. The Beatles never came to a tour on stage or even to take some holidays to my country that time, and we only could see'em on TV's video-tapes or in a movie(Help!, Hard day's night). But truely I started to be a huge fan in a few time after they broked up in circa 72~73... So I really started to enjoy theirs sound in solo careers although I love their songs like a group. Lately we had seen only Macca personally on stage here and unfortunately deceased George Harrison that sometimes came to see the F1 Races 'cos he was a close brazilian racer Fittipaldi's friend. Tragically John never won't come here anymore we all know why... And Ringo... well he's not precisely a greeeat musician but he's just a nice guy to me like some next door good-natured neighbour, BUT he had a merit for joined all the formers in post-Beatle era and done some good stuffs(a few little gems!) with his fellows. This is the resume of my encounter with the Fab Four's songs. Their songs is like a therapy to me. When I'm feeling down I just put any of their songs to play!! That's it guys, I extended it too much I think!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions