Other music

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Other music

Postby Len » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:12 pm

Just out of curiosity: what other types of music do all you Macca-fans listen to?

I myself am also (obviously) a big Neil Finn fan. Kate Bush is also an artist who can send shivers up my spine. Furthermore: Mike Oldfield, The Tea Party, The Rembrandts, Tori Amos, etc. I also enjoy classical music and Irish folk.

"Can you take me back where I came from?"
Len

Other music

Postby Len » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:12 pm

Just out of curiosity: what other types of music do all you Macca-fans listen to?

I myself am also (obviously) a big Neil Finn fan. Kate Bush is also an artist who can send shivers up my spine. Furthermore: Mike Oldfield, The Tea Party, The Rembrandts, Tori Amos, etc. I also enjoy classical music and Irish folk.

"Can you take me back where I came from?"
Len

Postby Ram1 » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:40 pm

Too much to mention. But among my faves....The Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Jeff Buckley, Foo Fighters, Cream, Grateful Dead, Beach Boys, Brian Wilson (solo), among many others.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:40 pm

Oh, and The Who!
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:09 pm

If you like McCartney, there was a band called Jellyfish that came out in 1990-1993 and had two Beatlesque albums called "Bellybutton" and Spilled Milk.

In addition, i find a quirky band called XTC very Beatley - the lead singer reminds me of the sharp wit of Lennon with the melodic genius of Paul.

How can you not enjoy people like Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Motown, Marvin Gaye, etc??

Also, how about Billy Joel???

And Hendrix??

I see a lot of similarities between the musical hybrid Prince and McCartney.

I think Stevie Wonder is just about on par with McCartney in terms of musical melody and pure genius
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:07 am

yeah, Chris. I remember Jellyfish. And XTC are definitely cool. And I'm also glad you mentioned some of the R&B/soul legends. There's nothing better sometimes than listening to the voices of people like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, or Al Green. People should also check out Ella Fitzgerald. Pure soul.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:50 am

Al Green is phenomenal. So, of course, everyone knows how much Linda (And Paul) appreciated and loved Otis Redding. I don't know if anybody ever noticed that Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man (Song) sounds a lot like the orchestra in "Live and Let Die". Also, i mean how great is Little Richard - the early stuff. You also have to love Stevie Wonder (Paul put braille on Red ROse Speedway) and of course Carl Perkins.

Buddy Holly is a pure legend - his stuff is great

I never understood 50's music until i went back and read how much it moved the Beatles and now i really like it.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:26 pm

Ram,

If you like Ella, just check out Sara Vaughan - she is pretty amazing. We all know how much Paul liked Peggy Lee (music man and all that).
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:32 pm

Good advice, Chris. I've heard about Sarah Vaughn all my life, but have never bought any of her material. Her work definitely goes on my "to get list." But, I have another one for you....NINA SIMONE! Whoa! Man, I am at a loss for words. All I gotta say is, you must experience for yourself.
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:38 am

I can listen to a wide array of music. I like the doors, The beach boys.(I saw them last year or what ws left of them) Johnny Cash,(very good concert). The who, Buddy Holly, Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, Tantric, STP, Metallica, And I know that I am probably going to getbashed for this one, but I also listen to a ot of eighties hair bands.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions