Oasis, The 90's Beatles(?)

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:28 pm

The fellow Liam reminds me Liam Gallagher, Oasis'vocal and I 'd like to know if some criticals that said Oasis is kinda 90's Beatles are right!? I think comparing Oasis to Beatles, the first sounds a little amateur to me!! Sorry if has some Oasis' fan over here(even being a MACCA's forum!), but the only Oasis stuff I think it's OK is their videoclips(some of them). Maybe do I think this way 'cos I'm over 40? Being british and knowing'em better,how do ya think about'em, Liam?

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:28 pm

The fellow Liam reminds me Liam Gallagher, Oasis'vocal and I 'd like to know if some criticals that said Oasis is kinda 90's Beatles are right!? I think comparing Oasis to Beatles, the first sounds a little amateur to me!! Sorry if has some Oasis' fan over here(even being a MACCA's forum!), but the only Oasis stuff I think it's OK is their videoclips(some of them). Maybe do I think this way 'cos I'm over 40? Being british and knowing'em better,how do ya think about'em, Liam?

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:38 pm

Well, I have actually received a bit of stick in my time, because my name is Liam Callaghan - which sounds very close to Liam Gallagher.

Oasis = The Beatles of the 90s? I would say no, from what I've heard. I think Liam Gallagher tries to be like John Lennon but doesn't cut it.

As for their music, well, I don't love it to bits, but I don't mind it. They're probably one of the more tolerable acts of the modern era as far as I'm concerned. Which means they would have been among the masses if they were ten years earlier. I dunno. They're all right. Nothing special, but OK.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:53 pm

Wow, the Oasis question. What almost every Beatles fan has thought about. I could go on and on about this one, but I'll try to be brief. Liam Gallagher....I agree with *our* Liam...he tries WAY too hard to be like Lennon, and doesn't come close. In fact, at times it's almost laughable. Are they musically as good as The Beatles? Of course not. Not even close. I mean, how can they be? They've stolen most of The Beatles' material. HOWEVER, even though they rip off a lot of material, Noel Gallagher is still one heck of a songwriter. Very talented guy he is. And I can't really think of any of their music that really sucks. I mean, 'What's The Story Morning Glory' is one great album through and through. So, all in all, I have mixed feelings about Oasis. When they're not trying to copy The Beatles, they're actually pretty good. (As long as you can get passed they're snotty attitudes, which I think is mostly a put-on anyway.)

Edited by - Ram1 on 06/11/2002 15:53:37
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:58 pm

I can actually see myself in ten years' time suddenly deciding to try out their greatest hits - which one presumes will come out by then. I don't know. I do know, however, that I need to sign off now, as I haven't done my dinner and I need to get home to do it!

Bye!

Liam Callaghan (NOT Liam Gallagher!)

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby dakota » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:01 pm

I think Oasis is a joke and from what I've heard of their,well,it's not to inspiring.

The group I thought sounded alot like the Beatles were Cheap Trick.
dakota

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:24 pm

Good point there, Dakota. Cheap Trick is actually a good band. Very melodic.

Well actually, if you wanna go a step further, the band I always thought, (and still think), sound like The Beatles is R.E.M. They're a great band, (I especially love their early stuff), but I always thought it was pretty lame when Michael Stipe told Rolling Stone magazine that The Beatle's music has no relevance or influence on him or something. That's pretty funny since most of their music is EXTREMELY Beatlesque, and Peter Buck plays with a Lennon Rickenbacker!!

Edited by - Ram1 on 06/11/2002 20:27:49
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:25 pm

Oasis could never be compared to the beatles musically. I was never a big REM fan. Probably cause I was so sick of seeing "losing my religion" every time I turned on MTV.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:19 am

quote: I was never a big REM fan. Probably cause I was so sick of seeing "losing my religion" every time I turned on MTV.

Ugh, yeah I know. And the sad thing is, it's actually a SUPERB song. But it was just TOO OVERPLAYED. Made me wanna puke every time that video was on. Kinda like 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.' One of the best rock songs ever, but after hearing about 1,173,154 times, I got pretty sick of it. But back to REM, alot of their post-'Losing My Religion' stuff has been sorta hit-or-miss. But, just about all their 80s albums are unbelieveable. Melodies that will leave you in awe. Although it sounds like it, I'm actually not a HUGE REM fan, I just basically like the early stuff.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:37 am

Someone played me a few tracks from "Automatic For The People" (or whatever it's called) last year, and I didn't care for any of it.

Let's face it - the only band who are anything even remotely like The Beatles, are The Beatles!

Liam OSM

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions