The Beatles vs The Stones

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby JettRyder » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:49 pm

regarding the Stones playing their songs faster in concert.....they did do that during the 70s and 80s.....it was somewhat annoying....but since the Steel Wheels tour, they've slowed it down to the comparable LP or CD pace and it sounds much better.......in fact, they sound better now than they ever have in concert......as far as Beatles vs. Stones, it feels like comparing apples and oranges.......2 different venues...............
JettRyder

Postby denby » Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:09 am

Ask yourself this - can you imagine the world without the Beatles ?
Nope !
Can you imagine the world without the Stones ? Er...frankly, yes.
Ok the Stones are one of the Top 5 bands of all time, but what cultural impact have they had. In my view, none. Sure they are good, and any band that stays together for 40 years deserves great credit, but they are not fit to tie the Beatles shoe-laces.

(By the way, My Top 5 bands of all time would be - Beatles, U2, Queen, Stones, Beach Boys)
denby

Postby shorty » Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:31 pm

it's impossible to compare the two they are both amazing but different. they have different style then the beatles. I put in this way: you can get stoned and rock out to the beatles, you can get drunk and completely wasted and rock out to the stones.

I don't know if anyone else understands that.

so long see ya never
shorty

Postby scrodfish256 » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:53 pm

ya, I get what your saying shorty, the beatles are so much deeper. It's a mood thing. Personally I like the stones and I have a lot of their albums, but I think they are a very sloppy live act. I have not seen many good sounding live performances from them. Sure mick runs around the stage and keeps your visual attention, but I want to hear the tunes! I have seen some bad shows and it pretty much changed my perspective on those artists.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby dsnito » Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:49 am

I think Stones are OK... They're almost 40 yrs. on the stage and this is not able to any rock'n'roll band, right... I well like some stuffs they've been doing all these years (but not the late releases!) and they bring me some good memories of that good old times, BUT nothing like the BEATLES' songs(like a group or solo)!! I ever say that they are a great ROCK'N'ROLL band, but THE BEATLES are more musically complete(Macca in special) in all the way... So, like I said, I just think... they're OK...!!! That's all!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:47 pm

As for my opinions on The Beatles v The Rolling Stones, well, I love The Beatles to bits, but am not all that well up on the Stones. I have heard some of their stuff in passing, and quite liked it. Maybe at some point I will get some compilation - damn annoying that there isn't one really definitive compilation that I can see - or is there? Anybody?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:16 am

Let me tell ya my friend, there are severals Stones´compilations released all over the years, but a "definitive" as you said I don´t know at all... I have only three compilations: "No Stone Unturned" ; "Made in the shade" , "Sucking in the Seventies" all out of print I think ´cos those are too much older and a few of their 70s albums. But those are dozen of Stones stuffs as a compilation in print. I think their best period was since early days to circa 1975... Maybe "Emotional Rescue"(1980)also. All the rest I did forget´em!! Even on stage currently, sometimes I can´t stand Mr.Jagger shakin´his old butt and singin´ "(I can´t get no)Satisfaction" for a millionesimal time. It makes me sick!! But still have many people that too much like it!! Well... They´re on their rights!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:28 pm

They suck live, especially on their old stuff---played WAY too fast--macca treats his olders stuff with respect...something the skeleton and the lip can't be bothered with. That's purely a musical assessment. Party-wise, it's a blast---it's just noise and you are more into being with your friends than the act on stage. At a Macca concert, man I want to lap up every last moment of watching and listening to "the great one" on stage.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:39 pm

Agree totally with everything you said.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:14 pm

Grillo===see this old thread? It's good to look up what people were saying about the subject previously.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions