Back In The US, A Concert Film?

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Wings » Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:46 am

Ok I just got done watching the DVD "Back In The U.S.". Only one thing to say. "It sucked." Now Iam a fan but this is garbage. It;s a TV special. A documentary film. It is not a concert film. Songs are out of order. People talk over songs. Songs are incomplete. What was he thinking? There is a place for stuff like that on a DVD. It's called Special features. If your going to do a concert film then show the concert. And why have 3 songs listed in the bonus song section? Why didn't he just put them in the film in the first place. No chapter selections? I hope they listen to the complaints and put out a new 'Special edition concert DVD that is a concert. If you need help look at DVD's from U2 or The Stones, Pink Floyd and all the ohter acts that put out "CONCERT DVD's". Ok I ranted long enough
Wings

Postby Wings » Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:46 am

Ok I just got done watching the DVD "Back In The U.S.". Only one thing to say. "It sucked." Now Iam a fan but this is garbage. It;s a TV special. A documentary film. It is not a concert film. Songs are out of order. People talk over songs. Songs are incomplete. What was he thinking? There is a place for stuff like that on a DVD. It's called Special features. If your going to do a concert film then show the concert. And why have 3 songs listed in the bonus song section? Why didn't he just put them in the film in the first place. No chapter selections? I hope they listen to the complaints and put out a new 'Special edition concert DVD that is a concert. If you need help look at DVD's from U2 or The Stones, Pink Floyd and all the ohter acts that put out "CONCERT DVD's". Ok I ranted long enough
Wings

Postby Ram1 » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:04 am

While I agree I wish they would have showed more of the entire concert unedited, it WAS intended to be a "documentary." A 'rock and road' movie as Paul called it. It isn't suppose to be just about the concert itself, but about the tour in general. (From fan's perspectives, backstage, the crew, etc.)
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:26 am

I agree Ramster. I also agree with Wings about the order in which the songs appear. As far as the Chapter selections, you can get there with the set list, or just hit the forward button on the remote. It skips pretty much to the next song. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:06 pm

I LOVE IT! I watch it all the time. No. it's not perfect. So?
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:24 pm

It's a wonderful visual reminder of what i saw this year. I love it...(still wish the songs were in order, but i go to the set list if i want to do that.). Would have also been nice to have all of them there, but I still love it. As Auj says..nothings perfect...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:43 am

There's something about that screen. Seeing that screen with the Hofner. it is just whipping me now. Suddenly this huge rush of emotion gets me when I see that screen. The incredible disbelief that after all these many years I finally saw Paul.
too much for me, I can tell you.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:28 pm

As I've said before, even though i've seen him 6 times over the years, this is the only film that accurately takes me back to the emotion of when the concert starts. That chunky guitar chord and then the sillouette of the Hof....then Paul....brings tears to my eyes every time.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:26 pm

Totally agree with you guys. Sometimes I watch the opening 3 or 4 times in a row. Just keep rewinding. Because it is SO intense and emotional. I get goosebumps every time. And then when the screen lifts and people are just going crazy and crying, it's just so overwhelming to me. Awesome. Totally WAD, LOL.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:28 pm

Also, another totally emotional scene for me is the very last note of The End where Paul raises is finger to the sky with his eyes closed, just looking like he's totally lost in the emotion of the moment. I love that. Awesome.
Ram1

Next

Return to MACCA-Videos