Driving Rain Tour surprises...Special guests

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:49 am

On stage in Minneapolis, McCartney stands playing the bass with a fervor not seen since the '76 tour. He bounces up and down on his feet like he was back in hamburg in 1960. It's a reminder to a very special few that Macca is groovin' to the song "I want you..She's so heavy". Several old school Beatle fans nearly pass out from the groove that McCartney is laying down.

Suddenly, from the wings of the stage, it's Prince playing a blue fender guitar jamming to the jazzy guitar riff....Prince and McCartney nod at each other as if they know a secret.....McCartney yelps out "I want you" as Prince screams out like he was singing "When Doves Cry".. The groove is infectious as it makes even the most uptight white people shake their as$...Two crafty veterans turn back the hands of time and jam like we haven't seen. Prince shoots McCartney a sheepish look that only two geniuses know.

McCartney then segues ways into Prince's classic song "Sign of the Times" as McCartney becomes the only multi-billionaie to write "Slave" on his face. Macca handles the guitar solo like he was back in Scotland in 1970 ripping off the crunchy lick to Momma Miss America in front of London. Prince out of respect and awe bows down at McCartney's feet as he picks up the hofner bass and tears up "Paperback writer".. The two geniuses exchange high-fives as the scene fades...

Uh, sorry.....I guess i must be ......crazy...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:49 am

On stage in Minneapolis, McCartney stands playing the bass with a fervor not seen since the '76 tour. He bounces up and down on his feet like he was back in hamburg in 1960. It's a reminder to a very special few that Macca is groovin' to the song "I want you..She's so heavy". Several old school Beatle fans nearly pass out from the groove that McCartney is laying down.

Suddenly, from the wings of the stage, it's Prince playing a blue fender guitar jamming to the jazzy guitar riff....Prince and McCartney nod at each other as if they know a secret.....McCartney yelps out "I want you" as Prince screams out like he was singing "When Doves Cry".. The groove is infectious as it makes even the most uptight white people shake their as$...Two crafty veterans turn back the hands of time and jam like we haven't seen. Prince shoots McCartney a sheepish look that only two geniuses know.

McCartney then segues ways into Prince's classic song "Sign of the Times" as McCartney becomes the only multi-billionaie to write "Slave" on his face. Macca handles the guitar solo like he was back in Scotland in 1970 ripping off the crunchy lick to Momma Miss America in front of London. Prince out of respect and awe bows down at McCartney's feet as he picks up the hofner bass and tears up "Paperback writer".. The two geniuses exchange high-fives as the scene fades...

Uh, sorry.....I guess i must be ......crazy...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:51 am

How about Paul and Elton John in a meaningful duet?

How about Paul and Sheryl Crow?

How about Paul and Axl Rose?

How about Paul and Brian Wilson?

How about Paul and Michael Jackson finally making up on stage and singing "You don't bring me flowers" the old Neil Diamond and Barbara Steisand tune...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:51 am

How about Paul and Elton John in a meaningful duet?

How about Paul and Sheryl Crow?

How about Paul and Axl Rose?

How about Paul and Brian Wilson?

How about Paul and Michael Jackson finally making up on stage and singing "You don't bring me flowers" the old Neil Diamond and Barbara Steisand tune...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Sun Apr 07, 2002 6:51 pm

How about Paul and James McCartney? He has been writing and playing w/ him.

Edited by - scrodfish256 on 04/07/2002 18:52:23
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Helter Skelter » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:45 am

I think macca should do something with Paul Simon or Pete Townshend. Imagine 3 of the best songwriters of the sixties working with one another
Helter Skelter
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:37 am

I love Simon and Garfunkel, but other than that, I think Paul Simon has the tendency to be pretty weak. But, Pete Townshend always has, and always will continue to rock.
Ram1

Postby constv » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:06 pm

James? He's not a musician, c'mon! He knows a few chords - just like many other people, that's all. His collaboration with his father is purely symbolic! It was quite cheesy when some reviewers praised his contribution to Flaming Pie, and even compared him to Dave Guilmore - just b/c his guitar sounded "bordering on the edge of feedback"...
constv

Postby Rundevilrun » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:29 pm

What about Paul, Billy Joel, and Eric Clapton? They've all played with Paul. It could work. All they need is a drummer... What's Ringo doing these days? j/k
Rundevilrun

Postby Ram1 » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:25 pm

LOL, constv. I never heard the David Gilmour comparison. That's pretty laughable. The short "solos" he did on FP were what almost any beginning guitarist can do. When I first heard that James was gonna be contributing solos, I thought he was gonna do some amazing outta site work. But there was nothing to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing him. Maybe he is actually a good guitarist. But his work on FP definitely didn't show it.
Ram1

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours