Paul McCartney MIDIs

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Paul McCartney MIDIs

Postby Shai » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:24 pm

Hello
Mike Know This Guy That I'm Talking About
He Is The Only Paul Mccartney Midi Sequencer That Workin' Hard
He's Name Is Tibe
And His Website Is:
http://digilander.libero.it/tibemaj/home.htm
And Really Listen To His Midis Files
The Files Is In Order Of Singles,Cds Etc...

Really Visit His Site And You Won't Be Sorry For That
And I Want To Say To Tibe Thanks For His Wonderfull Web And Midis
Shai

Paul McCartney MIDIs

Postby Shai » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:24 pm

Hello
Mike Know This Guy That I'm Talking About
He Is The Only Paul Mccartney Midi Sequencer That Workin' Hard
He's Name Is Tibe
And His Website Is:
http://digilander.libero.it/tibemaj/home.htm
And Really Listen To His Midis Files
The Files Is In Order Of Singles,Cds Etc...

Really Visit His Site And You Won't Be Sorry For That
And I Want To Say To Tibe Thanks For His Wonderfull Web And Midis
Shai

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:56 pm

Yes I know him as he has sent me the midis he sequenced. I too have produced a lot of midis in the the past for my act but just don't have the time anymore. Tibe is very talented as he has sequence some very fine midis. He is actually doing more as we speak and recently sent me two new ones, I'll Give You a Ring and Your Way.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Shai » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:05 pm

Do You Sequenced Paul's Midis?
Shai

Postby shinestar » Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:02 pm

What is a Midi???
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:05 am

choke
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:15 pm

I'll try to describe it. The Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) enables people to use multimedia computers and electronic musical instruments to create, enjoy and learn about music. There are actually three components to MIDI, which are the communications Protocol (language), the Connector (hardware interface) and a distribution format called Standard MIDI Files.

If you have a sound card and a midi browser plugin, you have the ability to play standard midi files though they may sound very cheezy as most sound cards (low cost) do not have very good instrument samples in them. MIDI is used quite extensively in the studio, Paul used it to compose Standing Stone.

A typical setup is a computer so to composed and edit the tracks (Cakewalk Pro or Sonar), a sound module (Rolland SC-88) and an input device like a keyboard (Rolland A-30). Though they have drums, sax and special pickups for guitars so to use as an input device. A properly produced midi song should have all the instruments on separate tracks. I only have a keyboard so I input all the instruments on the keyboard and then fine tune the sound during editing.

My method of sequencing has changed since the 1st one I did. Eleanor Rigby was my first song and it was a combined version of the original Beatles and Paul's version from Broadstreet. You have to listen and learn each instrument then lay the tracks down. Depending on what instrument I decide to play live with, I omit either the bass or the guitar I wish to play.

I'm not a tremendous keyboard play by any means as I just know basic chords but with a good ear and persistence you get some very good sounding music. There is a lot of crappy sounding midi out there that doesn't sound anywhere near the off-the-record sound, but there also is some very good quality songs already sequenced. I must say that Tibe surely does produce some fine sequences.

For example when I did a George Harrison tribute during one of my gigs last year, I found Isn't it a Pity, My Sweet Lord and All Things Must Pass. All 3 had the basics in them but the tracks were lacking so I edited the hell out them, replacing the bass tracks and improving the drums, strings etc. which made them sound much closer to the album.

I don't have much time to sequence but I did start "I Do" and "Freedom" but haven't finished them yet. With the more advanced software like Cakewalk Sonar, you can actually record an audio track of the original song and then use it as a basis to listen and duplicate the instrument on another track.

With MIDI I have co-ordinated MIDI controlled lights so to turn on/off/fade sequence precisely in songs, also because of MIDI I can controll effects so when I do Juniors Farm and then at the end where there is all the phase shift, I have programmed precisely at that part for the sound board to automatically change to the proper amount of phase shift on the vocals and desired instruments.

I've been meaning to re-produce all the sequences but alas the time. I haven't heard any of the newer sound modules but they have made some improvements on the samples.

Back to the sequences, I've produced a lot myself but I have also purchase some as there was a release of some very, very good official McCartney sequences from Tune 1000 that needed some minor fine tuning, and some simply downloaded from the net. I've sequence six or seven Badfinger songs as well as some Eagles tunes.

Sorry for rambling on.
Mike

Postby shinestar » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:40 pm

No rambling, Mike! Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. [:)] I don't have any of that stuff and no longer go to clubs so I'm totally out of the loop. I also can't burn cd's. But someday I hope to be able to get a keyboard and learn to play and write music just for fun.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:15 pm

I spent New Years sequencing "I Do". It sounds not too bad really, I've done all the instruments on separate tracks except for the acoustic guitar as I play that live.

I spent almost 3 hours just learning the intricate bass line and laying it down and my son interrupted me for something so I quickly saved it but it didn't save as I was rushed and lost all the bass. I was so pissed off I nearly quit. It's been a long time since I spent time like this goofing around with my little home studio. I took a break and watch Robin Williams on HBO and then after midnight spent the next 2 hours re-recording the bass.

It was challenging to figure out all the instruments and duplicating the sounds. There is piano, acoustic and electic guitars, bass of course but some church bells, trombone, cello and strings that I think I seemed to have captured the best I could without spending another 10 hours on the track fine tuning to absolute perfection.

I'll play it on the next MACCA-Radio special.
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:54 am

I guess I'm on a roll, I decided to sequence FREEDOM ! Brian is a fabulous bass player as he has learned Paul bass style very, very well. Duplicating Abe's drumming was a real challenge and I even had to watch the Back in the US DVD to see what cymbals he was using. But I've got both the bass line and drums complete.

Now for Rusty's guitar, this is going to be fun :) Hey I've gotta look back on the DVD to see what Wix is doing on this song.
Mike

Return to MACCA In-The-Media