Concerts for the Queen

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Len » Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:16 pm

In other words: I MISSED IT???????

Len MacPissedoff

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:25 pm

Well, I don't know. You can try tuning in tonight, but I saw something at the weekend. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you, my friend.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:50 pm

I think you've missed it, unless they're showing it again.

I've seen it on Sunday. It was a lot of people talking about Paul. People like Cilla Black, Meryl Streep (she was in Shea stadium in 1965), Dustin Hoffman, Bob Geldof etc. I even saw Astrid Kirchherr (mrs. Sutcliffe) coming by. Those interviews weren't very interesting, but a lot of footage I had never seen before. Like the seeds that came up illegal. Lot of stuff directly taken from Wingspan too. It was nice, but nothing compared to Wingspan.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:08 pm

Len---The BBC America is running it this Sat and Sun nights (june 8 & 9)..maybe one of us could tape it for you.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:29 pm

I've taped it... and I still have it unless I've taped the Jubilee concert over it... Would have to check.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:02 pm

Thanx everybody. But I'm not really interested in other people talking about McCartney. It would be different if it was McCartney himself talking about himself. By the way, I still have that award ceremony on tape somewhere (I think it was the Grammy Awards) where Paul received a life achievement award from Ms Streep. Talk about your vomit-inducing introduction speech... It had her talking about her experience of seeing The Beatles, and talked about how Paul's music still had everybody sitting around the stereo like around some campfire blah blah blah... and all the while elevator music versions of his songs were being played. I hate crap like that. Precisely the reason why I stopped watching the Oscars years ago. I used to actually stay up for that.

Okay. I'm done now.

Len MacVinigar

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:47 pm

Personally, I don't understand the complaints about Paul's performance. I'm watching it on VH1 now, and his performance is actually quite grand. And although his harmonies on WMGGW aren't superb, they're not really THAT bad. I especially think Sgt. Pepper/The End was spot on, and rocked the house. I think sometimes that our expectations of Paul are so high, that when we finally see him perform on something, we get a tad let down at times. I'm definitely guilty of that myself. Plus, you have to remember that the man just got off a full-length North American tour. So even at the times when his voice cracks a tad, you can't expect it to be top notch. Give him a break. He's Paul McCartney, but he's still human. But his performance, in my humble opinion, is very good.

PS--Although I think Rod Stewart's vocals on 'All You Need Is Love' were quite awful.
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:16 am

Len, I sorta agree with you about the Lifetime Achievement award from the Grammy's. It WAS pretty sappy. Especially with the "elevator music" versions of Paul's songs playing in the background. Although, I have to say, I thought Stevie Wonder's and Ray Charles' tributes were awesome. I understand what you mean about the Academy Awards, however, it's too bad you didn't see the one this year. It was absolutely exceptional. One of the best, if not THE best Oscars ceremony ever. And I'm not the only one. Everybody raved about it afterwards. Usually they're pretty boring, but I still watch for historical value and also because you never know what's gonna happen. But this year's was awesome. (Especially for the fact that Paul played ;)
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby GeeReenie » Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:58 am

font=Arial][/font=Arial]
I watched the VH-1 broadcast this evening of the party at the palace and rather enjoyed what they chose to show. Obviously, it wasn't everything (where did Tony Bennett fit in?)
Our hero was apparently in quite a good mood during his brief chat with Mrs. Ozzy (could that "kiss" be why Heather was reported as not being happy?) I think it was nice that he did "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Eric Clapton in tribute to George, and everyone knows "All You Need is Love" is John's while "Hey Jude" is his own. Overall, a decent sampling. Being in Kansas City, I was more than pleased to hear him say another tour was forthcoming . . . will he be "Goin' to Kansas City" this time (I hope!)?

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make . . .
GeeReenie

Postby GeeReenie » Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:16 am

By the way, for you non-AOL members, AOL featured a 16+ minute streaming video interview with Paul (Keyword Paul McCartney for you members out there). I don't know if non-members can access it, but if you want to try:

http://demand1.stream.aol.com/ramgen/ao ... b.rm,16:25

Paul was his usual public self, this time munching on macadamia nuts and raisins while he talked with the AOL Sessions guy . . .

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make . . .
GeeReenie

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions