Concerts for the Queen

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:13 pm

Right. A lot of people didn't. And the man knows what's going on. A lot of people make him out to be a vegetable. He's still a genius. It's just that his thought process is a little screwed up, so when you see him in interviews, he seems very childlike and a little out of it. But the man knows what's going on.
Ram1

Postby Len » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:50 pm

Brian Wilson did Hey Jude! Now it makes sense. I did miss that.

I agree about Queen. Why do they even still call themselves Queen? Mercury's dead, and John Deacon obviously didn't feel like joining them for yet another revival. Brian May has a pretty good voice, but Roger Taylor doesn't. Listening to him raping Radio Gaga was not pleasant. Why don't those guys give up and form a new band with a new name. At least people will take them seriously then.

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:29 am

Roger has his moments, but a lot of his vocals are very harsh. Sometimes it works. Brian should have sung Radio Ga Ga, and Roger would have sounded great on We Will Rock You - as would Rod Stewart. Certainly the whole Queen issue is very heated on the Queen mailing list I'm on, but yeah, performing as Queen should not be done too often. Special occasions, with a carefully chosen vocalist - or preferably Brian. If John was still active, it might not be that much of a problem, but he's decided he's had enough, so it always sticks out like a sore thumb . . .

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:09 am

Len---I would guess that Paul's performance on WMGGW is probably due to lack of significant rehearsal time. (See the Concenrt for NYC). As for Sgt pepper, the reason it was so short is that it was the REPRISE, followed by The End, just as he did them stateside on the Driving Rain Tour. I am anxiuos to see the show--I have to wait for the abridged VH1 version this Sunday night.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Len » Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:44 am

Yeah, but does he really need rehearsal? It would seem to me that he could do these songs in his sleep. I think it was due to lack of voice warming-up just before the show. Blackbird (the original) has Paul singing at his best. In the annivesary show he just couldn't reach the high notes as well, which spoiled the song for me.

By the way, tonight on BBC there's an hour-long Macca special, for those who are interested.

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:28 pm

Len---Although i'm at a disadvantage having not seen the show yet, but the short answer is that if you compare his performance of Sgt pepper and The End with WMGGW, I think you'll find that sometimes he DOES need some more rehearsal on things he hasn't done in a while. All I know is that his performance in Cleveland on 4-29 was nearly flawless--yes--he missed a few notes here and there, but I would bet that if he was doing WMGGW the entire tour, he would have it down cold. Also, how many times has the guy sang any harmony vocals live since the 1976 Wings tour? I'll wait until I see it before passing judgement on him, but I'm just glad that he was there.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:38 pm

Yeah, I agree. Paul definitely needs rehearsal just like anybody else. Like Steve said, just take a look at the Concert For NYC. Paul was obviously under-rehearsed. His voice was terrible. And think about it, when's the last time you think he sang WMGGW?
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:38 pm

I agree that even the great Sir Paul McCartney needs to rehearse these things - I sometimes do the odd show for my housemates (I sing and play keyboard), and I frequently need to practise songs - especially new ones. And I've never got John Lennon's "Mind Games" quite right yet! In six months of playing it, I've never got it right in a performance yet! OK, so I've only done two shows in the time, but, you know - I'm keeping it in my setlist as the jinx of the show. If I know that's jinxed, the rest should run smoothly

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:10 pm

Liam---please contact Kevin Spacey for the definitive live performance of Mind Games :)
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:17 pm

quote:
Liam---please contact Kevin Spacey for the definitive live performance of Mind Games :)

I'm afraid the significance of that is lost on me . . .

Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions