John Lennon and his insipid politics

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:34 am

John Lennon and his political activism in the 60's was an absolute complete exercise in stupidity. John Lennon cleared a path for every a and b list celebrity to use their frivolous media bully pulpit to shill, shuck, jive, and dance for every sham political activity - it's an exercise of stupidity to even think that because John Lennon can write pop songs that all of his fans would automatically adapt his political view-point like trained seals. Or that because i like some of their movies - that i adopt the political viewpoints of shysters Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins or even Martin Sheen.

Lennon's politics and his overtly political songs "Power to the People", "Sometime in NY City", "Women is the n-word of the world", "Give Peace a chance" are weak songs and empty slogans that John Lennon later admitted in his own words were guilt-ridden examples of hippie utopia.

Give me "Julia", "Jealous Guy", "Woman" - they are real songs. Keep that nonsensical crap like "Attica State" and "Luck of the Irish" away from small children and people with good hearing
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:34 am

John Lennon and his political activism in the 60's was an absolute complete exercise in stupidity. John Lennon cleared a path for every a and b list celebrity to use their frivolous media bully pulpit to shill, shuck, jive, and dance for every sham political activity - it's an exercise of stupidity to even think that because John Lennon can write pop songs that all of his fans would automatically adapt his political view-point like trained seals. Or that because i like some of their movies - that i adopt the political viewpoints of shysters Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins or even Martin Sheen.

Lennon's politics and his overtly political songs "Power to the People", "Sometime in NY City", "Women is the n-word of the world", "Give Peace a chance" are weak songs and empty slogans that John Lennon later admitted in his own words were guilt-ridden examples of hippie utopia.

Give me "Julia", "Jealous Guy", "Woman" - they are real songs. Keep that nonsensical crap like "Attica State" and "Luck of the Irish" away from small children and people with good hearing
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Brains » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:14 am

Fine. Don't listen to Attica State. It was John's choice to put his political views in his music. I think he couldn't care less if Chris Speers in 2002 would say it sucked.

"Or that because i like some of their movies - that i adopt the political viewpoints of shysters Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins or even Martin Sheen"

That's not the point. They are well known people. They have a political standpoint they wish to share with the world. For them it's easy, because they're famous. They use their fame to make the world a better place (or at least that's their goal, I don't know if they're right). What's wrong with that? I'd like to know...
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:18 am

YAWN. Yet another negative post that I didn't bother to read.
Ram1

Postby Brains » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:33 am

I do, I like those rants [:o)]. I disagree with every single one of them [:D][:D]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:39 am

You must have a stronger stomach than I do, Brains. LOL
Ram1

Postby Man Tissa » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:46 pm

Since he was anointed as the intelligent Beatle maybe it was better that it was John rather than Ringo...
Man Tissa

Postby mr. kite » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:25 am

Well, if John's activism was an exercise in futility, then, I strongly advise you to drop him from your roster of idols otherwise, you're just trying to fool yourself by pretending to like his songs when in reality, you're just trying to magnify everything that you find negative in John.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:13 pm

Hmm, about John´s activism, I think that was just his own opinions(beside Yoko) and views about all those social-politicals events at that time, and people may agree or disagree with him... People can change mind, ya know, even John himself later said that many of those things sometimes didn´t make sense to himself and he wouldn´t say the same he said before... well,that´s true he was a genius but he was also a contradictory person and sometimes confused about many things!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr. kite » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:02 am

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
Hmm, about John´s activism, I think that was just his own opinions(beside Yoko) and views about all those social-politicals events at that time, and people may agree or disagree with him... People can change mind, ya know, even John himself later said that many of those things sometimes didn´t make sense to himself and he wouldn´t say the same he said before... well,that´s true he was a genius but he was also a contradictory person and sometimes confused about many things!!

Peace.

Very true, nito. [;)]
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to JOHN