Landmines : Adopt-A-Minefield

Discussions regarding charities and issues support by Paul.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Man Tissa » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:03 am

quote:Originally posted by Aujouret

I don't have a lot, but I think helping others a lot less fortunate than me is the least I can do. Even if I can only help a little, at least I am trying.

That's what it's all about. It's an expression of care and consideration of others less fortunate than ourselves and everybody has a responsibility to help as much as they can.
Man Tissa

Postby sleepyhollowgirl » Fri May 23, 2003 3:52 pm

Has anyone here donated money to this orginzation?
sleepyhollowgirl
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bianca_macca » Sat May 24, 2003 4:11 am

quote:Originally posted by sleepyhollowgirl
Has anyone here donated money to this orginzation?

I have bought a 'no-more-landmines' shirt at Paul's concert. I think it's a good foundation and I might donate some money in the future. But at the moment I'm quite touched by the 'make-a-wish-foundation' and thinking of donating to that. Wish I had the money to donate to both at the same time...
bianca_macca
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bianca_macca » Sat May 24, 2003 4:23 am

quote:Originally posted by Brains
quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
Be practical too though. There are some Land Mines that serve a rightful purpose - if it can save some lives from a military stand-point and enable us to keep 100,000 soldiers on the borders of North and South Koreans - then having land mines and having some sort of buffer zone between these nations - can save a lot of young kids lives too. Heather does fine work for land mines that are obsolete and just wastefully hurting innocent civilians. But, there is a strategic importance for land mines in Korea and its saving many kids from being killed and giving us a sense of security from the crazy North Korean Axis of evil dictators.

Things aren't always so black and white when it comes to these topics. It's easy to say your against war and land mines - and we all don't want to have it happen. But, sometimes, there's evil in the world too and sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Of course, right NOW those mines are keeping the South and the North of Korea from fighting. But someday (I hope) that conflict will be over, and nobody will know where exactly they put those mines. And THEN it becomes a problem.

I totally agree with you brains!!!
It's even an issue closer to (our) home. I was in Ypres in belgium last week with my fellow students (I do history and we were there for a first world war musuem etc.). The war ended 85 years ago and the fields are still full with explosives and even worse: gas-granates, sometimes with mustard gas!!! My teacher said that if the mine-sweeping-service went on at this pace, the fields would be cleared only in 900 years! I think that's sick [xx(]. Why don't people learn from things like this?
bianca_macca
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Brains » Mon May 26, 2003 3:57 am

And even closer to home, I thought Zeeland had some areas that haven't completely been cleared of German WWII mines yet...
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby wolf » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:41 pm

I think the "Adopt a Landmine" issue is an important one.How many people have lost a limb, or made the ultimate sacrifice?
wolf

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:20 am

HEATHER FELT MY STUMP & TOLD ME: YOU'RE RECOVERING SO WELL, LAURA

BRAVE Laura Range had an emotional meeting with her hero Heather Mills and said: "It's the best moment of my life."

And Heather had moving words of support for the 13- year-old who lost her left leg in a horror accident.

She gently touched her wound and said: "The surgeons have done a great job. You're recovering really well."

Laura fought back tears as she replied: "Thank you."

The youngster, whose leg was amputated after she fell under a train six weeks ago, met Heather for the first time after striking up a special friendship - revealed exclusively by The People last week.

Sir Paul McCartney's wife - who lost her own left leg in a road accident 10 years ago - invited the teenager to her London home.

Laura, who is still determined to become a dancer, said: "When I first set eyes on her I couldn't believe how beautiful she was - she's gorgeous.

"She told me all about how she lost her leg and then gave me advice on how to stay healthy and to keep my leg strong.

"Then we talked about my passion - dancing. Heather suddenly got up and did a little twirl followed by some dance moves. I was amazed. You couldn't tell she had a false leg at all -- she was so elegant and graceful."

Heather, 34, who is expecting a baby in October, then confided in Laura: "I love dancing - I'm always the last one off the dance floor. You and I are very similar."

But the closest moment came when Heather offered to show Laura her own stump by taking off her astonishingly-realistic artificial limb.

Then she asked to see Laura's leg. Laura, from Bootle on Merseyside, said: "I was a bit nervous. I don't like looking at it because I think it's ugly but Heather had shown me hers so I didn't feel so bad about showing her mine." Heather gently ran her fingers over it and said: "That's beautiful." At that point, tears stung Laura's eyes. "I'll never forget now that my leg is beautiful," she said.

"I won't be embarrassed or ashamed about it because Heather has made me feel confident. And just because I am different from other people it doesn't mean I am not as capable or beautiful as them.

"Heather also told me she wants to see me dance one day. Now I'm more determined than ever."

After the hour-long meeting Laura, her mum Karen, 47, and her brothers Lee, 20, and David, 25, enjoyed a fantastic day out in London courtesy of The People.

We put the family up in a top hotel, showed them the sights, then took them to the West End musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Afterwards Laura said: "I've never seen a musical before so that was a brilliant experience. I wanted to be up there dancing on stage and one day I know that I will."

Heather told the People: "Laura is very courageous. I've promised that when I go up to Liverpool we'll go swimming together.

"I know that she will go on to inspire many other amputees, especially young girls."

Today The People launches an appeal to help buy Laura artificial limbs throughout her life. Please send cheques, made out to The Laura Range Appeal, to Laura's Appeal, The People, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP.

http://www.people.co.uk/homepage/news/p ... teid=79490
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:09 pm

Here is a link to the new online newsletter "DEMINER"

http://www.landmines.org/pressroom/deminer_vol3.pdf
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby Bluebird » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:49 am

Woah, there are lots of well-known acters and mussician like "James Taylor and Michael Douglas".
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Previous

Return to MACCA-Charities & Issues