Concerts for the Queen

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:52 am

I love my country, but some of our television coverage just SUCKS. I can't believe not one American channel (at least not one that I have, and I have dozens of cable channels), is broadcasting the Jubilee live. Channels like CNN just keep showing live "clips" that last a couple minutes, but that's it. All we are getting is the TAPED concert on SUNDAY, (almost a week after it occurred), on VH1. I think that's pretty crappy. This is a HUGE event. American stations have live coverage of royal weddings, so why not this?
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:37 am

Strange sense of priority, I guess. When it comes to TV, there tends to be a lot of politics behind the scenes anywhere . . .

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:43 am

Yeah, always politics.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:47 am

They probably figured that it's a foreign celebration and won't be all that important to the American public. Just a guess.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:07 pm

Probably. But they were wrong!!
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:12 pm

quote:
Probably. But they were wrong!!

Well, it is internal politics, after all! Is there ever a "right answer" in that area? (Says the guy studying maths, in which there is always a definite right and wrong answer!)

Liam OSM

Postby Len » Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:23 pm

I sat through the damn show for four hours, but I didn't even think it was all worth it. Paul didn't nearly do as many songs as I would have liked him to do. By the time he was getting warmed up, it was over. Her Majesty was nice. Blackbird wasn't really that good. His harmonies on While My Guitar were very off. That was really too bad, because that has always been one of the best things in that song for me.

Sgt Pepper rocked (but was way too short) and by The End Paul seemed to be really getting into the swing of things.

I seem to have missed Hey Jude, which is odd, because I don't think it's possible to cut footage from a live show.

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Brains » Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:46 pm

It was a bit of a disappointment, yes. I was shocked to see Brian Wilson. He looked about 80 years old, didn't seem to know what he was doing there, read his lines between songs from an autocue ("I dedicate this to the people of England"). He looked real freaky singing his songs (weird hand gestures), and didn't seem to enjoy Hey Jude, I saw that too.
Queen with Will Young was terrible, they shouldn't do too much of that, performing with someone so obviously less talented than Freddie Mercury. Annie Lennox was bad, Shirley Bassey was bad.
Good things? Eric Clapton was great, Paul was good, but not as good as I hoped (he hit some wrong notes on the piano during While My Guitar...). Why did he only do the reprise of Sgt. Pepper? Oh well, it was nice seeing him in action again.

I almost didn't see anyone not taking the whole thing too seriously. That guy from the Kinks had a funny looking Union Jack jacket on, but he was the only one making a little fun of the whole over-monarchistic chauvinistic extravaganza thing.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:58 pm

Let me say a few words about the great Brian Wilson. First of all, the man has some serious emotional/psychological problems. He had problems to begin with, (not the least of which was abuse from his father), but then those problems magnified when he experimented with drugs, (namely LSD), in the 60s. The bottom line is, the guy has brain damage. He'll tell you that himself. It really hurts me to see him on tv shows, and he looks like a deer in headlights, and his voice is not even near what it once was. (Which is sad because he had probably the best voice in all of rock music.) There's no denying the guy is still a genius, (I have his last studio album from '98 and he can still write), but he's definitely gone down hill since the 60s. Although I have to say, he's gotten MUCH better, through treatment, than what he was. (Especially during his whole stay-in-bed thing in the 70s.) What I'm trying to say is, when Brian looks like he's not into something or seems lost, I don't think that's fully the case. He just has problems and I just don't think he's able to convey his feelings that well in public anymore. I mean, you gotta understand, this is a guy who wouldn't go out in public for years. You gotta hand it to him, at least he's getting out there.
Ram1

Postby nicholeantoinette » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:04 pm

...a casualty of the 60s, yet he survived.
nicholeantoinette

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions