How is Paul's voice in this new tour???

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Postby ROBERIO » Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:11 am

His voice reachs the high notes??? Why he did not peform OH DARLING on the stage???

The sun is the same shining on my crazy diamond and when I'm sixty four will you still loving me???

ROBERIO
ROBERIO

Postby ROBERIO » Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:11 am

His voice reachs the high notes??? Why he did not peform OH DARLING on the stage???

The sun is the same shining on my crazy diamond and when I'm sixty four will you still loving me???

ROBERIO
ROBERIO

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:31 pm

Tawagirl,

If not too tired. We are looking forward to a review or an overview of the 2nd show. greatly would appreciate any or all details regarding voice and the "Acoustic only " set. I visualize him with Ukele singing "Something".

I do think his voice may be difficult particulary during Jet and Band on the Run and those rockers.

Thanks for letting us in the loop!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby constv » Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:45 pm

I am going to the 2nd show at Madison Square Garden (on Sat April 27 - exactly 9 years to the day since the last time I saw him at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis 4/27/93) and I am kind of worried that his voice might be hoarse after the night before. I hate to say it, but even his studio recordings show that his voice has changed... Songs on Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run and Driving Rain - are mostly written/recorded in the keys lower than what used to be typical for him. I have the Cavern Club show DVD, and, man, he REALLY struggles with some high notes on that one... His voice cracks more than a few times and he doesn't pull off a few high notes on Lonsome Town (although he still does it beautifully on the studio version.) However, usually you don't notice things like that DURING the show, with all that other noise and excitement...

As for Oh Darling! I don't think he has ever performed it on stage... There's no way in hell he'd do it now at the age of 60 if it took him a whole week to get it right in the studio back in 1969! By the way, there was an interesting interview with Lennon wnen John quite sarcastically said that although Oh Darling! was written by Paul, it should have been he (John) doing the lead vocals on it. He said he'd always felt that his voice was better fit for that song, and the song would have come out much better with him singing it... The interview was done around the time of the breakup, so Lennon did sound quite sarcastic about Paul...
constv

Postby Chris Speers » Thu Apr 04, 2002 7:26 pm

Smoking has its down-sides. One of them is that its a principal reason we lost George Harrison. 2nd - even though he hasn't smoked in years - MAcca's voice due to smoking deteroriated over the last 25 years. Smoking and age made it impossibly for Paul to sing the rockers. Anybody remember "Birthday" from 1990 tour? I'd rather not. It was hard to listen to him try to sing that.

Appreciate McCartney for sure. This may be a final tour. But, let's remember how great it would have been to hear him sing the classic Beatles stuff when he was able to belt it out. Listen to "Monkberry Moon Delight or Oh Darling and imagine how great it would have been to hear him scream the crap out of Hey Jude and Band on the Run in his prime before the ciggies and age ruined rock's greatest voice
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ROBERIO » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:38 am

Hello, Chris, did you go to the show in Vegas??? how Paul was????

ROBERIO
ROBERIO

Postby PFoss » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:40 pm

His voice was clear, very strong and right on the money last night in Philadelphia. The show was fantastic!
PFoss

Postby Rundevilrun » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:37 am

I don't know what he has done between the Concert for New York and this tour, but there is a world of difference! Listening to the one in NY is almost painfull to hear at times (he couldn't hit the notes in freedom!) Maybe it was something else, but he did a very good job in Chicago as far as I'm concerned!
Rundevilrun

Postby stocktonwood » Sun May 12, 2002 1:53 pm

I went to the dallas show and it was awesome. His voice was full strength. Anybody who thinks he's lost it is crazy. He ripped through Hey Jude, Maybe I'm amazed, band on the run, Jet, let me roll it and back in the ussr. His voice was amazing, I was expecting some bumps, but he sure got in shape for this tour. It was awesome, his voice was incredibly clear and he really belted out the tunes. It was the greatest thing I'd ever seen.
stocktonwood

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours