Brian Wilson as a Beatle rival

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccastheman » Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:07 pm

Mike Love is just an idiot. He's not an artist, he's a voice. Brian Wilson is an artist. In fact, he is a genius. Though much has been made of the Dylan influence on the Beatles, not near enough has been made of the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson influence. (Another example of the biased media - they have always focused on recognizing John's influences and not Paul's)

I think "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes and Villains" rank right up there with the best Beatles singles. The one thing Brian Wilson lacked, however, was staying power. He did release some incredible work in the late '60s/early '70s, and some of his solo work shows flashes of brilliance. He's just never been as consistant as Macca - which is why Macca wins out in my book. I mean, the man can do everything. (Great studio work, great live performances, etc.) But Brian Wilson does deserve more credit than he gets.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:09 pm

Another thing I want to add is that I'm very happy to see Brian touring and releasing new work these days. He finally seems happy, and I'm happy for him. And he still sounds great. I love "Pet Sounds Live." I'm so happy I got the chance to see him perform it.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby wesbeat » Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:27 pm

anytime they did something outside of their original sound met with some superlative results. songs that immediately come to mind:
DARLIN
WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
HEROES AND VILLAINS
I KNOW THERE'S AN ANSWER
GOD ONLY KNOWS
wesbeat

Postby Chris Speers » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:07 pm

Brian Wilson will always be a distant number 2 to Sir Paul - I won't even try to suggest that Brian WIlson is even in Paul's league for consistency -
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:10 am

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
Brian Wilson will always be a distant number 2 to Sir Paul - I won't even try to suggest that Brian WIlson is even in Paul's league for consistency -

Compare this to your original post - Speers, you're a hypocrite!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:50 am

You obviously misread my note since you didn't take the time to read it. I said that Brian between 1964-1967 did phenomenal work. Clearly, between 1962-2002, no one comes close to Paul's consistent work. That's the point - or is that too difficult for you to understand? Why don't you spend the time and read my notes before you judge me, tough guy? Or are you too quick to judge?
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:03 am

LIam has a problem comprehending analysis of musical groups beyond the hollies and foreigner and ABBA. Sorry, about that, but when you listen to that kind of dreck, it's hard to comprehend the true giants of music and then you get confused by these more intelligent posts? Maybe, you should try the remedial Macca forums posts before you try to tear into my more sophisticated and detailed analysis and reasoning.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:52 am

Speers, you have a serious ego problem. Your very first post is itself a contradiction - "Paul had the other Beatles and George Martin, Brian had to fight every inch of the way", then you turn round and say that compared to Paul, Brian is crap.
Liam OSM

Postby Aujouret » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:35 pm

I agree, Liam. Chris is contradicting himself, One post says Brain is a genius- that puts him in Paul's league. Paul puts Brian in his league, after all. The last post says Brian isn't. Jeez. No one is consistent. Look at a couple of albums of Paul's. And several of John's weren't that good at all. Everyone here can read, Chris. Get the duck tape.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Chris Speers » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:43 pm

The post clearly said for the period 1964-1967 - Wilson was on par with the bEATLES - I don't put Brian in the same category over the long-term. OK - Now, that i have stated the obvious for all of us
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions