Recent Chart Success . . .

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Recent Chart Success . . .

Postby Liam OSM » Thu May 30, 2002 6:59 am

Hey people - I'm wondering how well Driving Rain and its singles did in America - as over here, they had pretty much no impact whatsoever; the only single to chart was From A Lover To A Friend, and that only reached a paltry no45 - I turned in my grave when I found out! As for the album, it too hardly made a ripple on the charts. Is there any hope for the youth of today . . . ?

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Thu May 30, 2002 11:22 am

No, there is no hope for the youth of today. (At least not as long as Britney, Limp Bizkit, and Creed rule the charts.) It's funny, DR was a HUGE success amongst critics and fans alike. Yet, the sales were very dissapointing here also. I think I heard recently that the album finally went gold. (Which took like 6 months to do.) And I think the only reason why it increased in sales was because of the publicity from the tour.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Thu May 30, 2002 11:24 am

Great

I have a strong instinctive feeling that the state of modern-day music is going to get worse before it gets better . . . *sad sigh*

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.

Edited by - Liam OSM on 05/30/2002 11:25:19
Liam OSM

Postby Len » Thu May 30, 2002 1:29 pm

Not to be too cynical, but I very much doubt it could get any worse than it already is. The only way is up from now on!

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Ram1 » Thu May 30, 2002 2:36 pm

NetherLEN, listened to some of your tunes. Great stuff man! So far, my favorites are 'Arborium' and 'Biblo's Birthday Bash.' I'll listen to more when I get the chance. Rock on, buddy!
Ram1

Postby Len » Thu May 30, 2002 4:43 pm

Thanx Ram1!

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Liam OSM » Fri May 31, 2002 1:07 pm

quote:
Not to be too cynical, but I very much doubt it could get any worse than it already is. The only way is up from now on!

Wish I could believe that, but synthecrap seems to be the way to go at the moment. I predict that in about twenty years' time, everyone will have had enough, and we'll go back to a more rich, acoustic, sound to our music - rebirth of folk! Then, by the 50s, we'll be properly rockin' again. Just when I'll be past it and too old to approve! Typical!

Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:26 am

I don't think it's gonna take 20 years though. Usually, roughly around every 10 years there's a musical "revolution" of sorts. The last one was in the early 90s, so I think we're due one here pretty soon. Besides, who gives a crap what the charts say. Real music fans know what real music is. We aren't fooled by seeing Britney and 'Nsync on the top of the charts.

"Is this the Rob Halford page?"
Ram1

Postby heyjude65 » Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:18 pm

Right you are. As the saying goes, history keeps repeating itself. So I believe the great sounds and creativety of the 60's and 70's will return again. Great melodies and lyrics will make a comeback. I could see that a change is coming from the audience at Paul's concert. When I saw him back in 1990, it was mostly a crowd of the Beatles generation. But this time, I saw kids there with their parents - and they were loving the music and knew all the words. I saw teenagers and people in their 20's - excited and really into the music. So there is hope yet.
heyjude65

Postby Ram1 » Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:28 pm

Right on.
Ram1

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions