george's last letter

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

george's last letter

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:07 am

I just finished watching an interview with mike myers. The day that george passed away mike myers had just finished shooting a scene from goldmember when he heard of george's death. He was devistated and was crying when he got a call from a private investigator who wanted to see him. It turns out that george's last letter was to mike asking for a mini me doll and saying how much he loved his movies. They had never met, but Mike keeps the letter in a frame and looks at it every day. He still can't believe that it was the last letter that george ever wrote. It was written about a month before he passed away.

I just thought that it was kind of a neat story.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

george's last letter

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:07 am

I just finished watching an interview with mike myers. The day that george passed away mike myers had just finished shooting a scene from goldmember when he heard of george's death. He was devistated and was crying when he got a call from a private investigator who wanted to see him. It turns out that george's last letter was to mike asking for a mini me doll and saying how much he loved his movies. They had never met, but Mike keeps the letter in a frame and looks at it every day. He still can't believe that it was the last letter that george ever wrote. It was written about a month before he passed away.

I just thought that it was kind of a neat story.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:24 am

WOW. AMAZING story, Scrod. Thank you for sharing!
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:25 am

BTW--what show was this interview on?
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:31 am

It was a biography on E!
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:32 am

Oh ok, cool. Thanks. I'm sure they'll replay it.
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:35 am

Oh ya, It's like the third time it's been on.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Chris Speers » Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:04 am

Yeah, Meyers' parents were from Liverpool so he was a big fan. That letter is pretty cool. As an aside, George was lucky not to have seen the third Austin Powers movie - it was beyond unfunny. Lots of bathroom jokes, pee-pee jokes, and blantant rip offs from Benny Hill and other sources. I enjoyed the first two Austin Power films but the third one was lame, tired, and just not funny.

Using Beyonce Knowles as sort of clown/ prop and all that sugah and jive talk from the 70's is really demeaning to African-Americans and just most importantly tired humour that's been done countless times. As usual, Meyers pulled together a script that is just laced with silly, unoriginal bits of humour. Loved the first two Austin films cause they were orginal. This one was just tired, lame, and silly. The scene where her hair kinks up after she gets out of the water was just not funny and again borderline racist (nothing new to Hollywood when it comes to the African-American experience - see Eddie Murphy). Also, Meyers' way over played his hand in terms of continuing the franchise - when he started coppin' Benny Hill in terms of the urinating scene (right out of Benny Hill's countless episodes) - he was scrappin' the barrel of unoriginal thought.

It's a good thing George was lucky enough not to see that piece of dreck. And i always respected GH's humour - it was always top-notch (SNL, Python, Sellers, Etc)
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:15 am

I liked goldmember. The bionece noles demeaning thing is a bit overboard. You are the only person thus far who has mentioned that point. The austin powers character is stereotypical of the 60's. Not every caucasian person in the 60's was about free love and "yea baby", just as every african american in the 70's wasn't saying "shazaam" and had a huge afro. They are simply fictional characters created for a movie. If we can't laugh at ourselves sometimes then we are in serious trouble. Bottomline is you were really reaching when you posted that statement.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Chris Speers » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:52 am

You should read "Ebony", "Vibe" and the "Amsterdam News" to expand your views on the shuck and jive character in Goldmember - a lot of those publications said it was offensive and demeaning - not just me. Thing of it was - it just wasn't funny - it was offensive and he exploited a 19 year old girl to do it
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to GEORGE