Over-rated

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Man Tissa » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:47 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Just ignore, folks. CP takes the opposite view of the masses and tries to conjure up a spat in the name of "calling macca out", or "one man's opinion". Boring---Double YAWN. Rusty and Abe are so good it's scary. Q-tips may be in order.

This is the kind of stuff that gives you a bad name on this board. You have to learn to accept that other people will have a different point of view to yours. Why should anyone ignore? Just because you don't like what he has to say? If you don't like it then don't read it ... simple as that... if you don't like watching a particular program then change the channel...there are people here who want to talk about something else other that what's Paul's best album....
Man Tissa

Postby Brains » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:02 pm

What do you mean, Steve has a bad name? I can name someone who really does have a bad name on here if you want to...[:D]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Man Tissa » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:26 pm

[:D]
Man Tissa

Postby Steve-o » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:00 pm

quote:Originally posted by Man Tissa
This is the kind of stuff that gives you a bad name on this board. You have to learn to accept that other people will have a different point of view to yours. Erm...first sentence is just daft-your opinion is not really relavent to anyuone---I can accept differing views , but not ones that are just posted to get a reaction and so "off" that it's not funny.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:05 pm

quote:Originally posted by Brains
What do you mean, Steve has a bad name? I can name someone who really does have a bad name on here if you want to...[:D]
CHOKE!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Man Tissa » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:08 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Erm...first sentence is just daft-your opinion is not really relavent to anyuone---I can accept differing views , but not ones that are just posted to get a reaction and so "off" that it's not funny.

Maybe you can accept differing views but I haven't seen you do it.
Man Tissa

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:18 pm

Sorry - I really believe that there are some myths around the Early Beatles stuff pre 1965. There is some stuff that is good and holds up well (I'll be Back, I Feel Fine, No Reply, Baby's in black) - there are other songs that are not as sophisticated or are just not up to par (Devil in her heart, Love me do, She loves you, From me to you, Hold me tight, I should have known better, When i get home) - Ugh, there a few that you just say -it's sort of filler.

I'm not getting a rise out of people. I honesty think these songs do not stand up well. It's just an opinion but since i was born after they came out - it holds no sentimental value to me - i think these songs are just not top-notch. Most of the media i think are baby boomers and can't distinguish between the good BEatle stuff pre 1965 and the kind of songs they did to get hits. I once read that "From me to you" was written on a train on a Helen Shapiro tour and you know what - it sounds like it. It was one of the songs that John and Paul referred to as a swimming pool song to make money?? They did do that - you know? Whereas a song like "This Boy" or "If i Fell" - you can tell it had more quality and more depth to it.

Just like i said before about "A Hard day's night" - it's an OK Rock n Roll movie but i still don't see it living to its hype as the Citizen Kane of Rock n Roll films. I think Let it be or Mystery Tour is bett (Help is cooler to look at) er or for sure drama and power "The Rose", "The Wall" by Floyd is much more hard-hitting and much more creative, "Purple Rain", "8 Mile", Presley's "That's the way it is", the Band's "The LAst Waltz", The Monkey's head is brilliant for its sheer awfulness and camp. I hardly think "A Hard Days' night" is pure Monthy Python genuius (Holy Grail is funny) - John Lennon making a few funny wisecracks on a train - to me, it's not a huge comedic moment. It's funny and a Hard Days' night is an enjoyable piece of work that is cleverly done - but i still don't think it's the greatest music film of all time as critics and media have said.

Just opinions - But, I think a lot of people follow the mainstream sort of media's representation of Beatle music and Beatle film and i think a lot of it is just plain myth and sloppy and lazy analysis and reporting by baby boomers who can't keep a perspective on their music. There's no denying that the Beatles whiped the floor with the music business after 1965 - It's just wrong to say their songs were that powerful before then - they were still developing and evolving - and they made a lot of songs back then (pre-1965) that are just not as memorable.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:21 pm

You probably dont have the time to look at all of the posts where I have, and I dont blame you--there are far too many. I respect those who deserve it. Plain and simple. Many of us disagree on stinkers like Mary Had a Little Lamb, and many of the tracks on Wild Life, and the merits of say, FP vs DR. I've always accepted those and others with well thought out opinions that differ. Always will. Mean sprirted stuff for sake of a rise and crap based on tabloids, no. I'll let them know.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:59 pm

The personal attacks that Lennon gave Paul - i do not believe they were ever resolved. Lennon wasn't the type to give in an inch - he was a very stubborn Irishman when he wanted to be.

He was a man who never uttered one word of regret (Paul words in an interview) over the Allen Klein debacle. Lennon being insecure and kind of an a-s-s- let other people like Klein, Yoko, and the silly press come between him and the best friend he ever had. Paul never stopped loving John - but, John was a real mean-spirited S.O.B. to Paul.

I think Paul has a way of spinning things and making it seem that him and John buried the hatchet. I go by the interviews i read just before John's death and there was still pain there. Look at the interviews of sort of Bitterness/cattiness that John had towards Paul's career in the Newsweek Sept 1980 interview and the Dec 1980 Playboy interview, he still didn't get past his jealously toward Paul. And Paul rarely said a bad word about John - he just said in all the interviews pre 1980 and after 1976 - i hope John finds some peace and time to himself.

No - i never thought they resolved their issue. But, just an opinion!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Man Tissa » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:14 pm

But notice how Paul frequently says that he resolved his differences with John but George didn't get the chance to... I wonder how George felt about Paul saying those comments in public... I had the impression that George and Paul weren't very close either not until the Anthology... and don't forget that Paul didn't show up to the Hall of Fame induction with George, Ringo and Yoko due to "business differences".....
Man Tissa

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions