Mistakes on Beatles recordings

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Brains » Sat May 25, 2002 9:06 am

quote:

In Hey Jude you hear John saying "***censored*** hell! Wrong chord!" after about 3 minutes, when the song goes into the nanananaa part.

Why is the word ***censored*** replaced by those *'s? "****ing" is not what John said! It's not like we don't know what he says. Besides, it doesn't hurt anybody: ***censored*** fuckety fuckfuckfuck!

Yeah, freedom of speech!
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 25, 2002 11:13 am

quote:By the way, dakota, the messed-up bassline in Fixing A Hole still sounds nice. I think he starts one count too early, but quickly corrects it.

Yeah, I listened to it yesterday, and Paul, (being the amazing bass player that he is), covered it up pretty nicely. You can't really tell unless you're really listening for it.
Ram1

Postby dakota » Sat May 25, 2002 9:10 pm

Has anyone heard about the sqeaky chair noise during the final sustained note (the crash piano note)to A DAY IN THE LIFE?.
dakota

Postby heyjude65 » Sun May 26, 2002 7:32 pm

Towards the end of Let It Be, Paul hits a clunker on the piano when he says Mother Mary.
heyjude65

Postby heyjude65 » Sun May 26, 2002 7:35 pm

On I Am the Walrus, John starts to sing "yellow matter custard" before he should, you can hear the edit especailly on the anthology version.
heyjude65

Postby dakota » Wed May 29, 2002 11:02 am

[quote]
Towards the end of Let It Be, Paul hits a clunker on the piano when he says Mother Mary.

The clunker note to me sounds intentional
dakota

Postby DrRobert » Wed May 29, 2002 11:11 am

Yeah, I think it's intentional as well. The reason it sounds a little strange is because he plays it a little louder than the rest of the chords - bangs it a little too hard.
DrRobert

Postby dakota » Thu May 30, 2002 12:28 am

Another reason why I think the clunker note was intended was because the GET BACK/LET IT BE sessions were recorded on 8-track recording machine. This means that they had enough tracks to assign each instrument to its own track as opposed to the 4-track recording days when many time they had to have instruments share tracks. So having Pauls piano track by itself meant that if the Beatles were satisfied with a certain take, but Pauls piano playing had a blemish or two,they could just rewind the tape and have Paul fix the bad notes.
dakota

Postby drrobert61 » Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:27 pm

there's a lot of stuff like that on the mono recordings for example the song "when i get home" the U.S. version is different then all others when JOHN sings " when i walk out that door again" or long tall sally on the 2nd album mono has no reverb at all .very nice.
drrobert61

Postby dakota » Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:54 pm

I discovered a new mistake on Beatle recordings. Yoko singing backup vocals on BIRTHDAY....LOL
dakota

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions