Concerts for the Queen

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Len » Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:18 am

I agree with Mr Speers that royalty is hopelessly outdated.

But is it fair to criticise the political systems of other countries when your own country has an enormously dangerous moron for president? A moron in a long line of morons I might add.

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Len » Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:21 am

But then again, does the opinion of someone who actually thinks Benny Hill can be classified as "great" really count?

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:24 am

Benny Hill is very funny - Humour is all subjective!! But, Benny Hill still cracks me up.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:33 am

Mr Hill is nothing compared to the truly great comedy that came out of Britain: Monty Python's Flying Circus (without which there would not have been any SNL, by the way), Blackadder, Fry & Laurie, The Young Ones, Bottom, Absolutely Fabulous, etc.

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:43 am

Monty Python is very funny. But, they were hit n miss sometimes (too much dressin' up as women and all that screamin' at times). But, i do give Python props. To sound like the American-ass i am, African-American comics take comedy just to another level. All respect to the Brits and they are funny, nobody is funnier than Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, and the comics from Def Jam. Comedy is pain and African-American comics just take comedy to another level.

It's also true that they take not only comedy, but music, film, and sports to another level - more on that later. All i have to say on that is watch Eddie Murphy raw or Richard Pryor live in concert and you'll see what i mean. You can keep "Bean" and that guy who dresses up as drag and Dame Edna and stuff over the water if you think that's funny. But, Benny Hill and Python are alright
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:25 pm

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the Chris Rock HBO special 'Bigger and Blacker'? Man, I practically had a pain in my side from laughter. The thing that is great about that kind of comedy is that it's funny because it totally reflects true human life. A lot of people may get caught up in the profanity and whatever, and dismiss it as trash. But, with people like Chris Rock, there's definitely a message there on a social level. People like Rock, Pryor, Murphy, etc, they say things that everybody feels, but is too afraid to say. That's why I respect them so much.
Ram1

Postby Len » Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:40 pm

I'll try and catch that if I can. I have to admit though that Chris Rock doesn't do much for me when he's in a movie. I saw Down To Earth the other day. That's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

"It's only a model."
Len

Postby scrodfish256 » Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:16 pm

I seen pootie tang the other day. Man that was Chris rock's worst movie ever. I seen that one and zoolander in the same night. I don't think I finished either one of them.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby scrodfish256 » Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:23 pm

Oh, And back to the original subject, I just finished watching the queen's jubilee. (I live close enough to canada to pick up cbc) It was pretty good towards the end. Paul did a good job. Brian wilson didn't sound to good. When everyone was singing to hey jude, The camera panned over to ozzy. He was singing but I don't think he knew where he was. Brian wilson was standing right behind him and he wasn't singing or anything. I think he was having flashbacks from the '60's and got all p*ssed off. (if you remember what he did when he listened to sgt. pepper for he first time).
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:18 am

Firstly, we Brits have the best comedy in the world! Especially in the sitcom department. I could list a million classics from the 70s and 80s, but I can't be bothered.

Secondly, onto the real business - the jubilee. Paul rocked - of course. Queen ere great - aside from Will Young doing We Are The Champions - but their version of Bo Rhap was a highlight for me. Brian Wilson, I enjoyed, although he's probably getting past it now, in fairness. Basically, the veterans I enjoyed, but not the young'uns. Good gig though.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions