ONE YEAR AGO.....

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby RainDriver2002 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:47 pm

Jacko is, well jacko---a compltete nut case. Nick cage is so obsessed with Elvis, I'm not surprised that they apparently didn't make it. That's too bad. I love him as an actor, but....
RainDriver2002

Postby Aujouret » Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:38 am

quote:Originally posted by RedRoseSpeedway
quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
quote:Originally posted by RedRoseSpeedway
It depends on what you mean by the "later years." Some of his 70s tours were the best shows of his life. And his voice was at the most powerful of his career. Especially Early 70s.

I was pretty specific when I said, "the late '70s burned out Elvis."

I know, I wasn't talking about you. I was responding to Aujouret.

I have some of the later years videos of Elvis, but as it gets towards the very last years, I don't like to see them as they are too sad. I am a big fan of the early years. I get sad seeing the movies as I feel he was too talented for lots of them. Some are good, like King Creole. As George said, I felt sorry for him as he didn't have company like the other Beatles did and that's why he got lost. He was very sexy in that 1968 appearence he did. Whaoa- that black leather suit. Yummy.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:48 am

He wasn't only sexy in the '68 Special, Auj, he actually gave a phenomenal and classic PERFORMANCE too! LOL. Anyway, I agree with you about the films. It has been said many times that E took acting VERY seriously. And he really was a good actor. It shows in certain scenes. But the majority of the time, the studio kept giving him these crap roles that didn't challenge him. But you know, back during that time, E didn't really have much of a choice. He was under contract, etc. etc. George may have said something, but I think it was actually Ringo on Anthology who said The Beatles always felt sorry for Elvis. Because at least THEY had each other to experience the ups and downs of stardom with. All Elvis had was his "entourage" (The Memphis Mafia), but only HE really understood what it felt like. He had to go through it alone his entire career. Pretty sad.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:55 am

Well, it's exactly a year ago today . . . and I'm going to have a listen to Brainwashed when I get back home in a little while . . . and probably have a good cry with it.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:47 pm

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
Well, it's exactly a year ago today . . . and I'm going to have a listen to Brainwashed when I get back home in a little while . . . and probably have a good cry with it.

I think I'm going to look over my copy of Time magazine with George on the cover holding a sunflower. I think that picture captured the essence of George more than any other. It is a sad day, but I'll try to remember the positive things George left us with.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:51 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
He wasn't only sexy in the '68 Special, Auj, he actually gave a phenomenal and classic PERFORMANCE too! LOL. Anyway, I agree with you about the films. It has been said many times that E took acting VERY seriously. And he really was a good actor. It shows in certain scenes. But the majority of the time, the studio kept giving him these crap roles that didn't challenge him. But you know, back during that time, E didn't really have much of a choice. He was under contract, etc. etc. George may have said something, but I think it was actually Ringo on Anthology who said The Beatles always felt sorry for Elvis. Because at least THEY had each other to experience the ups and downs of stardom with. All Elvis had was his "entourage" (The Memphis Mafia), but only HE really understood what it felt like. He had to go through it alone his entire career. Pretty sad.

Ram, I agree. I think his performance was great. In the Anthology, George said he "always felt sorry for Elvis because he went through it alone. He may have had his guys with him, but there was only one Elvis."
Do you have the Anthology on VHS? I love it. I hear it's supposed to come out next year on DVD.[8D]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Aujouret » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:55 pm

Sorry, got way off topic on this thread.

God bless George.
Thinking of dear George and all his great music.
God bless Olivia, Dhani and all those wonderful friends who will be playing a concert for him tonight at Albert Hall.

I can imagine that he would feel shy about all the fuss on his behalf.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:30 am

Well, I had a listen to Brainwashed yesterday afternoon, and this time round, the emotion did not get to me, and I did form a definite opinion - this album is brilliant! Up there with ATMP, I reckon. [8D]
Liam OSM

Postby music peace » Sun Dec 01, 2002 10:57 am

I did what I thought George would have wanted me to do....I went out and did EVERYTHING...had a nice full day, and then at about midnight, I lit a bunch of candles and listened to
While my Guitar gently weeps, Here comes the sun, and Across the Universe
and just thought about him. [:I]
music peace

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:00 am

Across The Universe? Lyrically appropriate, although it's one of John's, not George's.
Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE