Come Together

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Come Together

Postby StGeorgeA » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:25 pm

I need some information about this song. What was this song written about and whom what the song written about? I know that it was recorded in July 1969 and published/released in October 1969, but that is all the information that I've been able to dig up.

Please help,

Allan[:)]
StGeorgeA

Come Together

Postby StGeorgeA » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:25 pm

I need some information about this song. What was this song written about and whom what the song written about? I know that it was recorded in July 1969 and published/released in October 1969, but that is all the information that I've been able to dig up.

Please help,

Allan[:)]
StGeorgeA

Postby Brains » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:33 am

It started out as a song written for Timothy Leary, for his campaign for becoming senator or president or mayor, I don't know. He asked John to write a song called Come Together, so John did. But the end result wasn't exactly suitable as a campaign song. So he recorded it with the Beatles. And a good thing he did: Paul's bass is awesome!

You know the You Can't Catch Me story? I think it was a song by Chuck Berry, it's almost the same as Come Together. Chuck was pretty pissed, so to make things right, John included YCCM on his Rock 'n' Roll album a couple of years later.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby RainDriver2002 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:07 am

John was forced, in a lawsuit by Morris Levy, to release a TV collection of oldies called "Roots" as payment for the similairity of the two songs. This became "Rock and Roll".
RainDriver2002

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:26 pm

quote:Originally posted by Brains
It started out as a song written for Timothy Leary, for his campaign for becoming senator or president or mayor, I don't know. He asked John to write a song called Come Together, so John did. But the end result wasn't exactly suitable as a campaign song. So he recorded it with the Beatles. And a good thing he did: Paul's bass is awesome!

You know the You Can't Catch Me story? I think it was a song by Chuck Berry, it's almost the same as Come Together. Chuck was pretty pissed, so to make things right, John included YCCM on his Rock 'n' Roll album a couple of years later.

Moreover, John's version of YCCM is very reminiscent of CT!
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:50 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
quote:Originally posted by BrainsIt started out as a song written for Timothy Leary, for his campaign for becoming senator or president or mayor, I don't know. He asked John to write a song called Come Together, so John did. But the end result wasn't exactly suitable as a campaign song. So he recorded it with the Beatles. And a good thing he did: Paul's bass is awesome!

You know the You Can't Catch Me story? I think it was a song by Chuck Berry, it's almost the same as Come Together. Chuck was pretty pissed, so to make things right, John included YCCM on his Rock 'n' Roll album a couple of years later.Moreover, John's version of YCCM is very reminiscent of CT!

More reminiscent of CT than of CB's version of YCCM?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions