2 hour Back in the U.S. on ABC

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:03 am

Show summary from ABC:

Hailed as a "rock and road movie," Paul McCartney's Back in the U.S. will give viewers front row seats and backstage passes to his most recent American tour in an original two-hour telefilm.

In the early months of 2002, a film crew followed McCartney and his band for 14 weeks to sold-out shows in 34 cities across America. Back in the U.S. will feature footage from many of these concerts, which included performances of "Yesterday," "Band on the Run," "Hey Jude," "Let it Be," "Maybe I'm Amazed," "Getting Better," "Back in the U.S.S.R.," "Live and Let Die," "Here Today" and "Something." More than two dozen hits that span his entire career, from the Beatles to Wings, and his solo work will be featured in the special.

Back in the U.S. also candidly reveals life on the road with Paul McCartney and his band - Rusty Anderson and Brian Ray on guitars, Abe Laboriel, Jr., on drums and Paul "Wix" Wickens on keyboards. Producer/director Mark Haefeli was given unprecedented access, and his cameras will take viewers on McCartney's chartered tour jet, invite them to hang out in the band's dressing rooms backstage and to attend previously private soundchecks.

"It was an amazing experience to work with such an icon and to be trusted to be given such access into his life. It made the tour a trip," Haefeli said. "Paul McCartney was involved in the creative process from beginning to end. To work with this man on such a personal level was both the greatest challenge and most endearing reward of my career".

According to McCartney, "This was a special tour for me in many ways and I'm very pleased that this film has captured much of the magic of it all. The band has felt very special to me, I'm having a great time playing with these guys, and the crowds on this tour have been special too; every night a warmth of goodwill from them has washed over us. But also there's been this special camaraderie going on backstage with the crew and all involved in this tour, there's been an intimacy of a life on the road that I don't think people will have seen on a screen before."
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:03 am

Show summary from ABC:

Hailed as a "rock and road movie," Paul McCartney's Back in the U.S. will give viewers front row seats and backstage passes to his most recent American tour in an original two-hour telefilm.

In the early months of 2002, a film crew followed McCartney and his band for 14 weeks to sold-out shows in 34 cities across America. Back in the U.S. will feature footage from many of these concerts, which included performances of "Yesterday," "Band on the Run," "Hey Jude," "Let it Be," "Maybe I'm Amazed," "Getting Better," "Back in the U.S.S.R.," "Live and Let Die," "Here Today" and "Something." More than two dozen hits that span his entire career, from the Beatles to Wings, and his solo work will be featured in the special.

Back in the U.S. also candidly reveals life on the road with Paul McCartney and his band - Rusty Anderson and Brian Ray on guitars, Abe Laboriel, Jr., on drums and Paul "Wix" Wickens on keyboards. Producer/director Mark Haefeli was given unprecedented access, and his cameras will take viewers on McCartney's chartered tour jet, invite them to hang out in the band's dressing rooms backstage and to attend previously private soundchecks.

"It was an amazing experience to work with such an icon and to be trusted to be given such access into his life. It made the tour a trip," Haefeli said. "Paul McCartney was involved in the creative process from beginning to end. To work with this man on such a personal level was both the greatest challenge and most endearing reward of my career".

According to McCartney, "This was a special tour for me in many ways and I'm very pleased that this film has captured much of the magic of it all. The band has felt very special to me, I'm having a great time playing with these guys, and the crowds on this tour have been special too; every night a warmth of goodwill from them has washed over us. But also there's been this special camaraderie going on backstage with the crew and all involved in this tour, there's been an intimacy of a life on the road that I don't think people will have seen on a screen before."
Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:17 am

You didn't expect them to play the just released DVD on tv did you?....Macca is a better business man then that![;)]
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:10 am

quote:Originally posted by RainDriver2002
Not at all. I just didnt want songs cut in half. They could have shown fewer songs in their entirety.

Right. Like I said in the other thread, of course they can't play the entire DVD. But to me, cutting off important parts of countless songs is just inexcusable.
Ram1

Postby maccastheman » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:13 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
Not at all. I just didnt want songs cut in half. They could have shown fewer songs in their entirety.

Right. Like I said in the other thread, of course they can't play the entire DVD. But to me, cutting off important parts of countless songs is just inexcusable.

I think the ABC special was meant to be more of a "sampler" for the DVD. I don't like having songs cut off, but the alternative is pay-per-view. I think Paul was trying to find a happy medium.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:23 am

Pay Per View of the last concert would have been awesome, unlike the Fox showing of the last 1993 concert, whihc cut away for commercials.

A concert film should have all of the elements of the experience, and this DVD does not disappoint one bit. A live PPV concert would be a totally different experience and would much appreciated.

I totally agree. That would be awesome. Both '93 and this year I guess just annoyed me because of the commercials. Hey, I KNOW they had no other choice. It was ABC national broadcast television. But it WOULD be nice to see a televised concert in it's entirety. No songs cut off.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:31 am

And one entire performance, uncut and unedited--just as those of us who experienced it and were lucky enough to see him this year. That would be great.

Right. Exactly. The entire opening sequence, every single bit of the between songs dialogue, everything. Taken from ONE single show. That would be great.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:38 am

Agreed.
Ram1

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:25 pm

I watched some of it on cbc at 8 and abc at 9. I taped it but didn't feel the need to watch all of it being that it was just parts of the dvd with commercials.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Aujouret » Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:28 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
And one entire performance, uncut and unedited--just as those of us who experienced it and were lucky enough to see him this year. That would be great.

Right. Exactly. The entire opening sequence, every single bit of the between songs dialogue, everything. Taken from ONE single show. That would be great.

That would be great!
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA In-The-Media