ONE YEAR AGO.....

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:45 am

quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
I agree it can be a sad occasion, but I think we should celebrate what George left us. Dhani said he didn't want to make "Brainwashed" a sad album, because George wasn't sad about his life. That's the attitude we should have I suppose.
Granted, we need to be tasteful about it.
I was at Graceland on the 25th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death. I went to meet Peter Guralnick, my favorite music writer. Seeing thousands of people from all over the world basically kneeling at the altar of Elvis was pretty disturbing. Just enjoy George's music, thank God for George's gift, and focus on your life and your place in the world. I think that's what George would want.

Disturbing is the word for it.
Thank God The Beatles are going the cremation route.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:20 am

Auj,

I totally agree with you. What disturbs me the most is the memory people now have of Elvis - the late '70s burned out Elvis. The man truely was a tremendous force on popular culture in the '50s, and his musical accomplishments are completely overshadowed by crazy fans trying to keep his decadent image alive. That's why I like Peter Guralnick's books. He puts everything into perspective.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:04 pm

I'll have to check out this guy's book on E.
My memories of E are of Loving You and old video tapes of him when he was young. I try to stay away from the later years and it is just too sad.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:35 pm

It depends on what you mean by the "later years." Some of his 70s tours were the best shows of his life. And his voice was at the most powerful of his career. Especially Early 70s.
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby maccastheman » Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:38 pm

quote:Originally posted by RedRoseSpeedway
It depends on what you mean by the "later years." Some of his 70s tours were the best shows of his life. And his voice was at the most powerful of his career. Especially Early 70s.

I was pretty specific when I said, "the late '70s burned out Elvis." I agree, he had some great moments in the '70s, but he also had his worse moments then, too.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:30 am

Speaking of Elvis, i saw the 1970 special called "Elvis, that's the way it is" - i think he was probably around 35 at the time and man he just killed. This is before the drugs and the other stuff was completely taken over. But, man, that 1970 Elvis was a bad a-s-s - he did this version of "You've lost that lovin' feeling" and then a version of "Get Back" - it was amazing.

GH died last year and it's hard to believe only two Beatles left
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:10 am

quote:Originally posted by maccastheman
quote:Originally posted by RedRoseSpeedway

I was pretty specific when I said, "the late '70s burned out Elvis."

I know, I wasn't talking about you. I was responding to Aujouret.
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:13 am

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
Speaking of Elvis, i saw the 1970 special called "Elvis, that's the way it is" - i think he was probably around 35 at the time and man he just killed. This is before the drugs and the other stuff was completely taken over. But, man, that 1970 Elvis was a bad a-s-s - he did this version of "You've lost that lovin' feeling" and then a version of "Get Back" - it was amazing.

GH died last year and it's hard to believe only two Beatles left

I actually agree with you on this one, Speers. "That's the Way it Is" is a great documentary/film. That early 70's Elvis was just RIGHT ON. Actually, I think it started with the '68 Comeback Special. Between about 68 and 72, Elvis was the best performer on earth. Hands down. It was about 73 and the Hawaii Special when he started to go down.
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby Ram1 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:56 pm

Agreed with both of you. Late 60s/early 70s Elvis was phenomenal. People who are ignorant on the subject make jokes about "Elvis playing Las Vegas in his jumpsuits" and so forth. But those (at least the early 70s Vegas shows) were some of the best shows of his career. No doubt. Exciting isn't even the word.
Ram1

Postby nicholeantoinette » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:40 pm

...I've been reluctant to go too far off topic in this forum, but I do want to chime in that I am so sad that his daughter's been so unlucky in love apparently.
nicholeantoinette

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE