The Movie "Help!"

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

The Movie "Help!"

Postby Daddy I Love You » Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:05 pm

I personally loved the movie, funny at a lot of parts, very clever too. They played a lot of the Beatles best songs in it. What do you guys think of the movie?
Daddy I Love You

Postby Aujouret » Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:34 pm

I love it, too, Daddy.
The Beatles are extremely beautiful in colour.
You also see MY Johnny sing You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and the closeups of him are so sexy.[:p]
Originally when the film was show in theaters it had these big blown up bubbles saying POW!, BAM! and stuff like that from the old TV Batman show. It was silly and then when it came on TV years later- all that was gone- thank God.
I also agree that there are great songs in that one. A couple of really good ones of John's, especially.
I actually prefer Help! over AHDN as it seems like there is more of John in the second film![:)]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:53 pm

Great songs--great color, but a truly daft script just ruins it for me. HDN is about 20 times better, IMHO. As a string of music videos, though, it's great to have it.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Daddy I Love You » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:21 pm

yeah, I definitly think that Help! was better than Hard Day's Night. The movie looked better in color, had a better plot, better songs in it, and the Beatles were cuter in that movie(in my opinion).
Daddy I Love You

Postby Steve-o » Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:28 am

quote:Originally posted by Daddy I Love You
yeah, I definitly think that Help! was better than Hard Day's Night. The movie had a better plot, better songs in itHuh? Better plot? You must be kidding. I would argue about the songs, too, but I love most Beatle songs. I'm amending my statement..HDN is 50 times better than Help!. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:10 pm

I was watching my new DVD of AHDN and I was very interested in Richard Lester's comments about "John being the one of 3 or 4 most interesting people I have ever met."
So, that must be why John is all over the place in HELP!
As Steve always says, we agree to disagree on this one, Steve.
It's a feast for a Lennon fan.
Although, you are basically getting a "John is the witty one" show. and as Richard said in the DVD- John's real character wasn't like that. I enjoyed Richard's views of each of the group. Richard is cool.
I wonder what the Help DVD is like...
The clarity of AHDN is incredible in the DVD.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Daddy I Love You » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:46 am

I've seen the Help! DVD, and it's REALLY good, the color is amazing in it.
Daddy I Love You

Postby Brains » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:37 am

Help! is very different from AHDN. AHDN was like an artfilm, but Help! was more like an Elvis-film. I liked AHDN better, especially the Can't Buy Me Love part, with all four running around like crazy.

But Help! is pretty funny too. Think about it, Ringo has a ring and therefore has to be sacrificed, and they end up in Austria and the Bahamas? Yeah right. I think it's a bit Pythonesque.

In the Anthologybook John said that while shooting Help! they were always completely stoned. Next time I see the movie, I'm going to pay attention to that[:D]!
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:37 am

Thanks for the tip, daddy. ram says it's good too.
I expect I'll have to get it.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:30 am

quote:Originally posted by Brains
John said that while shooting Help! they were always completely stoned. Next time I see the movie, I'm going to pay attention to that[:D]!
Yes. They said that they were using uppers on HDN and pot on Help! JL does have that "wacky weed" look to him in Help!.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions