ban guns!

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby 40Intrepid » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:24 am

Look; I dont like all the mindless gun violence! I live in a place were kids shoot each for their shoes or jackets!
But good people like us have to be ready to defend ourselves from the Hitlers, Stalins, and Hussiens of the world!
There would be a swastika or a sickle and hammer flying over our country right now if we had a pacifist attitude toward weapons of war.
We all want world peace but as long as their are people who will try to enslave the free, guns will be an evil neccesity!
40Intrepid

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:31 am

Here! Here!, 40. I couldn't agree more.
Ram1

Postby Brains » Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:18 pm

quote:Originally posted by 40Intrepid
I think its too late to ban guns now! How will we get rid of the millions of unregistered guns in circulation already? what about guns that have historical value? are we realy going to throw a
Revolutionary War musket into the furnace when we ban guns?
On the plus side a foriegn power would think twice about trying to invade us considering the heavily armed American public.
Wich foriegn power? Possibly China!

Don't you think it would be better to let war be fought by professional armies instead of giving everyone guns just in case the Chinese attack and the regular army can't beat them?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:39 pm

quote:Don't you think it would be better to let war be fought by professional armies instead of giving everyone guns just in case the Chinese attack and the regular army can't beat them?

Yes, Brains. But like others have said, there are so many guns in America now, that families have to protect themselves against the criminals who have guns as well. It's a vicious cycle, yes, but there is no way they could ban guns now. There's way too many. And in the possibility that they WOULD ban firearms, (which will NEVER happen anyway), criminals and others would be able to purchase them on the black market (like drugs), and that would create an even BIGGER problem, for sure.
Ram1

Postby 40Intrepid » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:31 pm

quote:Originally posted by Brains
I think its too late to ban guns now! How will we get rid of the millions of unregistered guns in circulation already? what about guns that have historical value? are we realy going to throw a
On the plus side a foriegn power would think twice about trying to invade us considering the heavily armed American public.
Wich foriegn power? Possibly China!

Don't you think it would be better to let war be fought by professional armies instead of giving everyone guns just in case the Chinese attack and the regular army can't beat them?
During world war II armed partisans and guerillas provided invaluable support to the U.S. and her allies, in every theater of the war from Europe to the Pacific! These were civillians, not trained soldiers. The fighters who defeated the Soviets in Afghanistan were neither trained or organised. I meant to say that a foriegn power would have to deal with both our military and civillian population, giving them second thoughts.
Check out the movie Red Dawn; great flick on this subject!
40Intrepid

Postby nicholeantoinette » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:31 pm

*When* we ban guns...I really like the sound of that. And you bring up an excellent, practical questions.

I think this ideal becomes reality when humans evolve a bit more than we already have. Then, we'll *want* to relinquish them. And what to do w/ them? I don't know...melt them down and sculpt a monument to John, how 'bout?
nicholeantoinette

Postby nicholeantoinette » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by Mike
most criminals are stupid so they either don't care or can't comprehend that someone behind the door "may" have a gun.

Smart criminals will always be able to get a gun, even if they are banned.

...smart criminal: now isn't that an oxymoron? [;)]
nicholeantoinette

Postby Steve-o » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:28 pm

quote:Originally posted by nicholeantoinette
...smart criminal: now isn't that an oxymoron? [;)]
Unfortunately, no, Nich. I wish it were true and they were all dumb as the guys who rob banks and write the "give me $$" note on the back of a business card.[:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby nicholeantoinette » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:52 pm

Sorry Stevie, but I feel that if you don't know that Instant Karma's gonna get you if you don't behave & earn your $ properly, you aren't very smart. xo
nicholeantoinette

Postby Steve-o » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:56 pm

Oh, Nich--I agree with your sentiment. No doubt. It's NOT smart, but it's too bad there are so many "evil genius" types out there. Let's call them idiots. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN