Landmines : Adopt-A-Minefield

Discussions regarding charities and issues support by Paul.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:27 am

Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:27 am

Mike

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:08 pm

Oh goody, I get to be first.
I support this fine organization.
I think what really sold me on it were Heather's words: For thirty dollars you can make a child walk again. I'm poor so I only contribute little bits at a time, but it is a super feeling knowing you are helping. Or as Heather calls it: Making a difference.
I like their website. You can get pencils, pens and T-shirts with the logo on them very inexpensively.
For those interested in actually owning a print of Paul's work, Amnesty, it is also available for $50 online too.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:31 am

Be practical too though. There are some Land Mines that serve a rightful purpose - if it can save some lives from a military stand-point and enable us to keep 100,000 soldiers on the borders of North and South Koreans - then having land mines and having some sort of buffer zone between these nations - can save a lot of young kids lives too. Heather does fine work for land mines that are obsolete and just wastefully hurting innocent civilians. But, there is a strategic importance for land mines in Korea and its saving many kids from being killed and giving us a sense of security from the crazy North Korean Axis of evil dictators.

Things aren't always so black and white when it comes to these topics. It's easy to say your against war and land mines - and we all don't want to have it happen. But, sometimes, there's evil in the world too and sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:36 am

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
Be practical too though. There are some Land Mines that serve a rightful purpose - if it can save some lives from a military stand-point and enable us to keep 100,000 soldiers on the borders of North and South Koreans - then having land mines and having some sort of buffer zone between these nations - can save a lot of young kids lives too. Heather does fine work for land mines that are obsolete and just wastefully hurting innocent civilians. But, there is a strategic importance for land mines in Korea and its saving many kids from being killed and giving us a sense of security from the crazy North Korean Axis of evil dictators.

Things aren't always so black and white when it comes to these topics. It's easy to say your against war and land mines - and we all don't want to have it happen. But, sometimes, there's evil in the world too and sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

why not inlist in the armed forces, Chris?
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:45 pm

Adopt-A-Minefield Issues Global Call to Action For Night of A Thousand Dinners(TM)

December 5 Event to Support Mine Clearance and Survivor Assistance

NEW YORK, Nov. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The Adopt-A-Minefield Campaign has issued a call to action for all Americans to participate in the second annual Night of A Thousand Dinners on Thursday, December 5, 2002, to raise funds for mine clearance and survivor assistance around the world. Government leaders, caring citizens, diplomats, celebrities and organizations will host dinners in their homes and other venues in a demonstration of solidarity to resolve the global landmine crisis. For information on how to participate in this important event, please visit http://www.1000dinners.com, or call 212-907-1307.

"The presence of landmines prevents people from going about their daily lives long after wars end. Fields cannot be farmed, children cannot attend school, people cannot work without the fear of stepping on a landmine," said Nahela Hadi, Acting Executive Director, Adopt-A-Minefield. "Night of A Thousand Dinners celebrates one of the basic human experiences -- sharing food together -- so that others will be able to grow and provide food for their
communities in safety. As an Afghan-American, this effort is especially close to my heart."

"Whether someone chooses to host a dinner, attend as a guest or simply make a donation, taking part in the Night of A Thousand Dinners will help to improve the quality of life for tens of thousands of people worldwide," said Heather Mills McCartney who along with her husband, Sir Paul McCartney, are Adopt-A-Minefield Goodwill Ambassadors and Patrons. Night of A Thousand Dinners has garnered broad celebrity support. Its Artists' Committee includes Alec Baldwin, Eric Clapton, Leonardo DiCaprio, Harrison Ford, Billy Joel, Lucy Liu, Joni Mitchell, Rosie O' Donnell, Robert Redford, Susan Sarandon and Kevin Spacey.

Other prominent supporters include Kofi Annan, Secretary-General of the United Nations; Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London; and Colin L. Powell, U.S. Secretary of State. Participating organizations include Rotary International, Kiwanis International, and Roots of Peace's Harvest of Hope Campaign. Adopt-A-Minefield's corporate partner, Federated's INC International Concepts clothing line, is promoting the event to 1.1 million homes. INC is also giving a "No More Landmines" T-shirt designed by Ms. Mills McCartney to the first 1,000 hosts who join.

A program of the United Nations Association of the USA (UNA-USA), Adopt-A-Minefield supports the United Nations mine clearance operations in partnership with the U.S. State Department and Ted Turner's Better World Fund. The Campaign's mission is to return land to productive use by clearing landmines to allow for the rebuilding of homes and schools, safe return of refugees, and reintegration of landmine survivors into their communities.

Adopt-A-Minefield raises funds to support mine clearance and survivor assistance efforts in six of the most mine-affected countries in the world.

Since its launch in 1999, the Campaign has raised over $6 million and cleared 3 million square meters of land, with another 3 million square meters currently under clearance. "As the nation's largest foreign policy membership organization, UNA-USA is proud to bring together Americans from all walks of life with the United Nations to resolve a global problem," stated Ambassador Nancy Rubin, Chair, Adopt-A-Minefield.

In 2001, the first Night of A Thousand Dinners raised $1.4 million in more than 35 countries, with events ranging from intimate gatherings to galas, and catered events to potluck dinners. "Americans have an instinctive generosity and compassion for those in need," Ms. Hadi said. "These funds allow thousands to return to their homes, cultivate their land and reclaim their lives."

More information about Adopt-A-Minefield can be found at
http://WWW.LANDMINES.ORG .
Mike

Postby Brains » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:14 am

Of course, right NOW those mines are keeping the South and the North of Korea from fighting. But someday (I hope) that conflict will be over, and nobody will know where exactly they put those mines. And THEN it becomes a problem.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:29 am

Are you saying stoop to their levels? Moreover, are you even thinking about what you're saying?
Liam OSM

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:13 am

Heard on NPR yesterday that Ethiopia and Eritrea are about to loose a great deal of their population due to famine. Many have aids and they need 30% more nurishment to stay healthy but the population is getting less than one meal a day. Why? The war they had. Eritrea I guess has rich farm land but nothing was planted because the f***in landmines haven't been cleared.

Yeah they used landmines in the fields where they used to grow crops to feed themselves. Now their starving. You may see this on CNN between Iraq and the Winona Ryder's shoplifting trial. Damm CNN shows live coverage of a stupid petty shoplifting trial but children dying is worth sending a reporter.

BBC is a far better news organization, it's not all about the US. There are other countries and news worthy stories much more important that most of what their talking heads have to say.
Mike

Postby Aujouret » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:56 am

When people watch the news, they wanna see Wynona and not dying children. The networks give them what they want.
I do prefer the BBC world service because at least they show other news.
Most people are not interested in charities.
Sad, but true.
I don't have a lot, but I think helping others a lot less fortunate than me is the least I can do. Even if I can only help a little, at least I am trying.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA-Charities & Issues