Sun claims Paul reversing Beatle song credits

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Sun claims Paul reversing Beatle song credits

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:26 pm

This article appeared in today's Sun. Now I know Paul has discussed asking Yoko about doing this for only Yesterday (refer to http://www.macca-central.com/macca-news ... cfm?ID=525 ), but to has Paul really done this or is this another example of tabloid journalism ?

So now it's McCartney & Lennon
PAUL McCARTNEY has enraged Beatles fans by altering the songwriting credits on his new CD to give himself prominence over JOHN LENNON.

Macca has stripped off legendary tagline Lennon & McCartney from 22 songs he performs on the Back In The US 2002 disc.

He has replaced it with “composed by Paul McCartney & John Lennon.”

Die-hard fans claim Sir Paul was miffed at being relegated to second place, and say it is a ploy by him to rewrite the history of the Beatles.

One said last night: “He’s never liked the fact that it’s always been Lennon & McCartney and not the other way around.

“To be fair, Paul had the most creative input on all of The Beatles songs he played on his Back In The US tour.

“But the Lennon & McCartney tagline goes back 40 years and in my mind he is attempting to change the most important songwriting legacy of all time.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2002521144,00.html
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:30 pm

Well, in his defence, I'll say that it's his tour, they were his songs, does it really matter that much?

Of course, the same argument could be used in either direction, but what the hell.
Liam OSM

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:29 pm

The Beatle song credits on other Paul live albums or albums with Beatle covers are as follows:
Wings Over America - McCartney/Lennon
Give My Regards to Broadstreet - Lennon/McCartney
Unplugged - Lennon/McCartney
Tripping the Live Fantastic - Lennon/McCartney
Paul is Live - Lennon/McCartney
Live at the Cavern - Lennon/McCartney
Mike

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:30 pm

What about on Give My Regards to Broad Street? I don't have it in fron of me...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:46 pm

I've updated the original. Thanks
Mike

Postby megs » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:22 pm

why would anyone care whether he switched them or not cus they r his songs and it does'nt matter anyways[:I]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:22 pm

quote:Originally posted by megs
why would anyone care whether he switched them or not cus they r his songs and it does'nt matter anyways[:I]

Apparently it matters to Paul. I have been really torn about this issue. On one hand, I feel like taking Paul and telling him to stop making such a big deal out of something so petty. But on the other hand, I'm trying to put myself in his shoes, and I can imagine how he must feel. Imagine if you were the chief songwriter on a song, or heck, especially if you wrote the ENTIRE song by yourself, and you were not given top billing as the songwriter. I don't know, like I said, I am really torn about this. I see both sides of the issue. But all in all, and you guys can get mad at me all you want, I think it's Paul's insecurity about his legacy that is creeping up again. If you're any half-way knowledgable Beatles fan, you know who wrote which song. But it seems to me that Paul wants to make it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR which songs he had more of an influence on more than John. I don't know, I'm not in Paul's shoes. So I can't know what the man is thinking or his exact reasons. But just from what I've read, this all seems rather silly and a waste of energy.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:44 pm

Nah, Ram. I won't get mad at you over your views on this. We rarely disagree. And as always, you have presented your views in a most respectful manner, SIR![:D]

My view is this: If that's how he wants to present the the song writing credits for the live versions of his songs, that's fine by me. I have absolutely no problem with it. You, Ramster, are probably in the majority with the insecurity thing. I take the other side. I don't blame him and to me, I feel it doesn't really do anyone any harm. I wonder if he had to ask Jacko for permission, LOL.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby megs » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:11 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
quote:Originally posted by megs

Apparently it matters to Paul. well yeah i know it would matter to paul and i could easily see how it could, but when i said that i meant the fans caring about it cus mike mentioned earlier in the thread that this got lots of fans angry[8)]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:54 am

I think Ram makes a very interesting point in that it may be a little insecurity thing of Paul's to think that with John dead and rather made into a martyr sometimes, that perhaps Paul doesn't think he is recognized as the brilliant songwriter he is.
We all have little insecurities, after all.
Paul's human too.
The Beatles songs Paul played on this tour are primarily his songs.
I don't have any problem with Paul switching the names.
Obviously it means something to Paul and it does seem to be important to him as it keeps creeping up again.
As a big Lennon fan, I'd love to hear John's opinion.[;)]
I am sure wherever Johnny is- he would surely have an opinion.
Isn't the UK Sun a tabloid?
The article reads like that. I'm certainly not "angry"
Jeez....
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Next

Return to MACCA In-The-Media