Why do we love Beatle songs sooo much?

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Aujouret » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:01 pm

quote:Originally posted by magill
Hey Stevew628........Down boy! First of all it's ESCAPE not ESPAPE. I didn't mean to give anybody a cramp. I thought it was an interesting comparison is all! Thanks for sharing your story Auj. I enjoyed reading. It's nice to see there are still some people that are open to new ideas and concepts. I am 45 years old so we were enjoying Beatlemania at the same time and it was a GREAT TIME!!![:I]

Thank you, Lil. It is so special to be a first generation Beatles fan.
I feel sorry for the younger fans who missed it. They only get the media's version who were NOT hip to the Beatles. And they get books too, but it's not the same.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:08 pm

It was a magic time. As for younger fans who "missed it", depends on who introduced them to the band. There are MANY MANY younger folks who dont get what it was like, and that is too bad. Alot of them seem to be entertainment writers--probably the same ones who call paul "Former Beatle", like he has never done anything in the last 32 years.

My kids understand it and embrace the reality of the Beatles. Several younger members on this forum (Ram, Scrod, Liam, etc.) also were brought up, Beatle-wise, the right way--they certainly do not act like they only got the media's version.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:54 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628

My kids understand it and embrace the reality of the Beatles. Several younger members on this forum (Ram, Scrod, Liam, etc.) also were brought up, Beatle-wise, the right way--they certainly do not act like they only got the media's version.

You got that right, Steve. I was lip synching and playing air guitar with my brother to his Beatles records at like 2 or 3 years old, long before I could read those misguided magazines. I owe A LOT to my older bro' in terms of bringing me up the RIGHT way, musically. In that sense, I ALWAYS felt different from my peers growing up through school. I was like 10 or 11 years old, digging the The Doors' Soft Parade album. Or like when I was a little kid, being so SCARED by the dramatic crescendos in A Day in the Life, actually sometimes hiding behind a chair, LOL. Yet, LOVING it at the same time. I always had such a deeper understanding about music and culture than my peers because of that. And for that, I am very grateful to my brother. God bless the Beatles. God bless rock 'n roll. God bless music in general. I mean that, literally. We are very fortunate to having working ears.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:59 pm

Great post Rammie.

I think you have coined a new phrase and what I think could be an AWESOME new name for a new band:

WORKING EARS...[:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:10 pm

Good posts guys. I like that band name too. [8D]
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby magill » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:22 pm

OUCH!!! Is anyone familiar with the John Lennon Playboy interview 1980 where he states that "Do You Want to Know a Secret" was based off of a nursery rhyme that his mother used to sing to him. How about "Good Morning, Good Morning" from a Kellog's cereal TV commercial? Is this silly? I was not saying that ALL Beatle songs are like nursery rhymes, you misunderstood Stevew628. I am merely stating that there are similarities between Beatle songs such as "Yellow Submarine", "Octapus's Garden", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and the concept of nursery rhymes! Okay, there Mr. Steve. CHECKMATE.[xx(]
magill

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:59 pm

Ok, mcgill..you mentioned these: Lovely Rita, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields Forever, Fool on the Hill, She Came in through the Bathroom Window. ??[xx(]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby magill » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:22 pm

Yeh right, it could be those songs too, like I mentioned earlier. Now you finally UNDERSTAND!!![:D]
magill

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:12 pm

mags---I understood perfectly what you were saying. I just said that I didnt agree with it and that it was silly. Just my opinion. So we agree to disagree. You're entitled to your opinion and vice-versa.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:15 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628

It was from hearing my mother's WTB LP that I first started to get interested, but it wasn't until I was 12 that I heard anything else - PM2. Then, at 16, I got a new desktop PC that included ALL of their stuff on the hard drive. I was hooked, and played them all the time. And that's all I care about. The music. Not the politics.

And then 2.5 years ago, I got a compilation of Lennon's, and then eight months later, I got TTLF. I started getting all the studio albums, and also Wingspan, which I got early on. I was quickly hooked.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions