Why do we love Beatle songs sooo much?

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Why do we love Beatle songs sooo much?

Postby magill » Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:50 am

I believe their songs appealed to us in a nursery rhyme sort of way (I say that with absolutely no disrespect.) Whether it was done intentionally or unintentionally, they appealed to the child in us with fictional characters, colorful words, and catchy melodies. Just as we escaped reality with "Ba Ba Black Sheep" when we were babies, so we escaped in our childhood to the present with Beatle songs. It was brilliant and we'll always keep coming back for more Lovely Rita, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields Forever, Fool on the Hill, She Came in through the Bathroom Window...Does any of this make sense? Think of all the nursery rhymes you recited as a youngster, now think of your favorite Beatle song!!![?]
magill

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:37 am

Because they were the best damn rock songwriters ever to walk this planet. Period. I grew out of nursery ryhmes when I was 2. What kind of reality do kids want to escape from anyway? Having to use the potty, or having to finish their dinner? Oh the horror!! That analogy is just plain silly. I'll never grow tired of the Beatles and their songs. Put the pipe down, McGill. Come back to reality. Breathe deeply. Yes--the Beatles intentionally (or not!!) wrote everything to appeal to the "child" in us. And the whole moon thing was a hoax.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:15 am

That was an interesting concept about the nursery rhymes...
How old were you, Lil, when you first heard the songs?
Where you a child then?
I was 13 in 64, so I loved them as a teenager. And I saw them evolve over the years when they were still a band from I Wanna Hold Your Hand through Pepper and to the end as well. I was becoming an adult in those years.
I am 51 and I do not have children and I can't honestly say that I remember even one nursery rhyme. Maybe no one sang them to me?
My music memories go back to Elvis and Rock Island Line. I remember Hound Dog when I was 5.
So, I love the Beatles because when I heard them the first time, something spoke to me and it said: This is It. This will be the most important thing in your life. Some unknown voice. We debate life and fate on this forum as Steve says. It must have been fate.
We all know the Beatles were (are) a phenomenon. As gifted musicians and songwriters no one can touch them. They exist on a higher plane than any other artist in the history of pop music. There is Beatles and then there is everyone else.
Nice topic, Lil.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:14 am

quote:Why do we love Beatle songs sooo much?

Can't stand them. They're one of the major reasons I earned such bad grades in high school. I would doodle stuff about The Beatles on my notebooks, and had their songs stuck in my head all day. Thanks, Beatles, for ruining my education. But their music is alright.
Ram1

Postby Aujouret » Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:57 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
quote:Why do we love Beatle songs sooo much?

Can't stand them. They're one of the major reasons I earned such bad grades in high school. I would doodle stuff about The Beatles on my notebooks, and had their songs stuck in my head all day. Thanks, Beatles, for ruining my education. But their music is alright.

ME TOO!!!!!
LMAO[:D]
good one, Ram. Loved it!
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:01 pm

quote:Originally posted by Aujouret
ME TOO!!!!!
LMAO[:D]
good one, Ram. Loved it!

The trials and tribulations of a Beatles fan. LOL
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:02 pm

Erm....ok..I wont explain. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby magill » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:40 pm

Hey Stevew628........Down boy! First of all it's ESCAPE not ESPAPE. I didn't mean to give anybody a cramp. I thought it was an interesting comparison is all! Thanks for sharing your story Auj. I enjoyed reading. It's nice to see there are still some people that are open to new ideas and concepts. I am 45 years old so we were enjoying Beatlemania at the same time and it was a GREAT TIME!!![:I]
magill

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:50 pm

quote:Originally posted by magill
Hey Stevew628........Down boy! First of all it's ESCAPE not ESPAPE. I didn't mean to give anybody a cramp. I thought it was an interesting comparison is all! Thanks for sharing your story Auj. I enjoyed reading. It's nice to see there are still some people that are open to new ideas and concepts. I am 45 years old so we were enjoying Beatlemania at the same time and it was a GREAT TIME!!![:I]
Well, at 47, I'll take the boy reference. Thanks for the spelling primer--it really is a poor typing thing, but I'll try harder. [:D] I'm always open to new ideas, but that one is STILL silly. We just disagree. Don't get your panties in a twist, there mcgill.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:52 pm

Oh yeah...and it didn't cause a cramp. It really made me laugh, to be perfectly honest. It's plain DAFT! and...I only cramp up after not warming up before running.[:D] I'm old.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions