Paul working with other artists

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby constv » Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:51 pm

I think that technically Robbie is far better than all other Macca's full-time guitarists. Robbie is one of the best studio guitarists in England today. He indeed sounded "too perfect" on Macca's songs - but only because The Man wanted it that way!!! See, that's the problem I'm talking about: if you are one of the "chosen" to play with Sir Paul, you've got to do what the man says, and kind of keep in the background! Have you seen one of the documentaries (was it the one for Off The Ground tour, or the 89-90? ) where they filmed Robbie jamming with some black blues musicians in a club in New Orleans (or Memphis, not sure...) Man, he was kicking ass! As raw as it gets! Jimmy was good, he was raw alright but he had a long way to go, it's sad he died so young. Paul also had played with Dave Spinoza - one of the best studio guitarists in NY/US in the 70's - on Red Rose Speedway. But can you tell?? Hell, no! My point is that Paul sometimes supresses other talents and does not let them shine the way they can.
constv

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:24 pm

Constv,
Excellent points on the guitar issues. Without a doubt, Paul holds back on the guitar players in Wings and his solo stuff with few exceptions. I have a version of "letting go" where Jimmy Mcculloch just unloads on guitar that is phenomenal. Paul is too much of a perfectionist to let guitar players crank. He is much too conservative in holding back guitar players.

Spinozza i think played on Ram - i don't think he played on Red Rose or Band on the run.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby constv » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:17 pm

Chris, you are right about Ram, Spinoza was on that one too. He did play on Red Rose Speedway as well - definitely, on Get On the Right Thing. The whole album was recorded in NY. Spinoza certainly didn't play on Band On the Run.
constv

Postby denby » Tue May 28, 2002 8:49 am

I am thrilled that someone out there has mentioned Neil Finn - let me tell you, if there is one artist in the world today who has something of the McCartney talent it is Neill Finn. I have seen him live 3 times - he oozes talent - great melodies, rhythms, instrumentation - superb - so yes, if he ever worked with Paul for me it would be heaven! (to the American 'forumers', Neil Finn has just released an album called One All (here in the UK we got it last year under the name One Nil) - go and beg steal and borrow it - you will not be disappointed - it will remind you of albums like Rubber Soul and Ram.
denby

Postby Steve-o » Tue May 28, 2002 8:54 am

Rusty blows them all away---in my humble opinion. And his guitar playing does not seem to be as constrained as other Macca leads have been. But he's the best that Macca's had live AND in the studio in my book.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 am

Hmm, Paul with other musicians? Well, I'd love to see him work with Brian May, the guitarist from Queen - he's a phenomenal axeman, and a great singer, too! In fact, Brian sounds a bit like Paul himself at times. I think it would be interesting to hear Brian May sing songs of Paul's like Yesterday, Let It Be, Live And Let Die, etc. You get the idea. And all of you - get Brian May's solo work. Pure, unadulterated, clarse!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Tue May 28, 2002 12:10 pm

Clarse? Clarse?? I'll give you a clarse, buddy!! Hey, do you wanna step stateside?? Or if you're already stateside, do ya wanna step international? Englishmen! Geesh!
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 28, 2002 12:11 pm

Hey, calm down! I wasn't trying to be a stuck-up snob, I was hitting the r with a sledgehammer. Ever heard westcountry talk? All them "ooh-arr"-ing farmers? Perhaps I should have put cl-arr-se!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Tue May 28, 2002 12:15 pm

Hey, don't give me an English lesson, buddy! I speak American! (What?)

"Who is we?"

Edited by - Ram1 on 05/28/2002 12:18:07
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue May 28, 2002 12:17 pm

quote:
Hey, don't give me and English lesson, buddy! I speak American! (What?)

Hey, calm down! It's not an English lesson, it's purely a difference in pronunciation - the sort of difference that won't always be immediately clear online. You may object to the object of my explanation, but there's another example! Sheesh!

Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions