Is Paul a rocker??

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:16 am

You're gonna do it on keyboard, Liam? That should be an interesting sound.
Ram1

Postby darkeyes » Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:23 pm

So Glad To See You Here, Junior's Farm, Hi Hi Hi, Soily, the list goes on and on. But because he was dubbed the Cute Beatle 40 years ago, it stuck. He will always be known for Yesterday and Michelle, Here There and Everywhere. Always will be the melodic one. He is the victim of his own success. Not to mention he is known as a good guy, not a rock n roll bad ass. I know of no one with a songbook as diverse, with a mastery for the creation of so many rock songs and love ballads of equal intensity and genius. Not to mention his talent as a musician. Can Clapton play bass as well as Macca plays guitar?...Can Billy Joel play guitar as well as Macca plays piano?..
And does any other first rate classic rocker primarily associated with a guitar or piano play drums? One of the most overlooked things about him is his musical talent. The defense rests.
darkeyes

Postby megs » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:59 pm

hmmmm great post, his musical talent is definetly over looked[:)]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccafan » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:06 pm

Great post guys, I think in a way Paul adds to this misconception of him being soft. Most of the time when you see Paul perform he doesn't do his really hard rockers. He needs to do songs like Juniors Farm, Smile Away, About You, Girlschool, The Mess, etc in front of a televised audience so the world can see that he does rock!!
Even with Run Devil Run, one of the hardest rocking CDs in the last ten years, how many people actually bought the DVD/CD to know how hard it rocks? Radio didn't play it so most of the masses don't know!! Even on this board RDR didn't get much discussion!!
Paul needs to announce a special gig at the house of blues, and come out there and just rock!! Here's one for you guys, come up with a setlist, what songs do you think Paul should play to prove that he rocks and rocks hard. It can only contain songs written by Paul himself!!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:35 pm

In my humble opinion, Macca IS a rocker, no doubt. His roots came from old R&R, BUT he is an awesome VERSATILE artist so he can do beautiful ballads and love songs as well as hard rock songs with his great talent.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby moose6410 » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:27 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I feel the same MF. No doubt. I hate when they say that about BOTH of them. JL had his share of love songs, and PM had his share of Rockers. And PM is STILL rockin' today. I'll probably get flogged for this, but JL, had he lived, would never have been able to give himself to the touring crowd as Macca has. Paul loves performing. In JL's opinion, the Beatles died in 1962 before they "sold out". he HATED touring. Long live Rockin Paul!!!!
[:D]OH AMEN, AMEN!!! Who sang FALSETTO like Little Richard, and STILL DOES? Who could play until 2am if they'd let him, touring his arse off? And who revolutionized the role of the electric bass, absolutely exploding first rock and roll, then rock? If you go back to even the earliest of Beatles, start listening to the bass line: always interesting, always MOVING, always adding a whole other dimension to the music. He did a walking bass line that nobody outside of Motown was doing, and he improved on it. And as they grew, listen to the way his bass playing grew. Incredible. Ask any musician, he'll tell you: Macca was ACE OF BASS. But the point is, he STILL IS. He's still got all the chops, all the vocals, all the charisma. In his recent concert here in Houston, he must have shouted 4 or 5 times, "WE ARE GONNA' ROCK THE HOUSE TONIGHT!" Believe me, he did!!![:D]
moose6410

Postby Steve-o » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:51 am

Great post, Moose!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:14 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1

I'm going to give it a more punchy feel - more the rock & roll-rock hybrid feel, a la Bryan Adams. I shall be using the "E Guitar" voice on my keyboard for this, though.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:10 pm

Sounds cool, Liam.
Ram1

Postby constv » Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:37 pm

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
quote:Originally posted by Ram1

I'm going to give it a more punchy feel - more the rock & roll-rock hybrid feel, a la Bryan Adams. I shall be using the "E Guitar" voice on my keyboard for this, though.

Just think of Jerry Lee Lewis you guys! A simple piano will do just fine - if you know how to use it!
constv

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions