Tour Memories

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Mon May 27, 2002 1:35 am

For me (Cleveland show) it was seeing (when the curtain police weren't closing the darn things) and hearing Calico Skies during the sound check. I would have been happy if that's all i left with--of course, the show was superb, but the memory is fading---fast. Best sounding concert for me personally---ever.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 27, 2002 2:43 am

Steve, Paul was playing Calico Skies during soundcheck? Awesome.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon May 27, 2002 12:07 pm

Yes--It was awesome..he did a check for each of the intruments he was playing. Calico for acoustic, ect. CMoon, Let me Roll It,ect. but I really can't remember what others besides Calico that he didn't perform during the real show. I saw about 15 minutes of the 30 minute check, due to the curtains being closed and then reopened. We were in the lobby of Gund arena and I could clearly see him arrive on stage with a drink in hand, take off his jacket and wiggled about with hands in air screaming to the vacant arena. He then heartily emraced Rusty and Abe and then tore into Let ME Roll it. I'll try and remember the others, but I had the best tippy-toe spot (5'8" here!)--I relinquished my postion only a few times, but it was awesome to hear it and see some of it.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon May 27, 2002 12:36 pm

That's great, man. I'm sure that's an experience you'll always remember.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Wed May 29, 2002 10:51 am

When i saw him in DC, he did "Mother Nature's son" and his voice cracked really badly during the opening line and he gave us the goofiest luck with a big smile on his face. That to me was pretty cool.

My only problem with the show was i didn't see any-body of colour in the crowd and that wasn't cool. I think it was whitest crowd i have seen since i saw the Carpenters and Neil Sedeka with my parents in the mid 70's. I love a rainbow crowd - i saw Prince more than once and the energy one gets from a rainbow crowd is intense. I noticed a lot of white people during the McCartney concert were not clapping or dancing in rhytm - it was a sad site. Nothing worse than seeing a fat 48 year old guy with a gut hanging out dancing like it was 1964 during "Can't buy me love". Give me Prince's crowd of fine lookin' ladies shaking their things during "Kiss". Oh, yes,

Don't get me wrong - i liked Paul's show but i wasn't feelin' booty
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Thu May 30, 2002 11:21 pm

Dog, I take it yer a big Prince fan. I think I've seen his butt more than Cher's.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Thu May 30, 2002 11:57 pm

quote: I'd say "up his @ss with fiberglass," but it sounds like something he'd enjoy...

DANG! I guess you won't be having him over for dinner any time soon. There's no doubt that Prince is a genius. And one heck of a guitar player! I just wish he'd use his talents towards making music like he did in the early days, (like you said.)
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Fri May 31, 2002 12:05 am

Ha ha. The first disc will be called "Right." And the second will be called "Left."

"Go Nets"
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Fri May 31, 2002 12:35 am

Hey, your Top Secret materials on the Shirley project should arrive tomorrow. Enjoy, and let me know. Good night, Detroit.

This is R1...over, out, sideways, and vertical.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:21 am

Prince is one of the under-appreciated geniuses of modern Pop music. Arrogant, fey, ridiculous, callous to his fans - he is guilty of all that. But, the man on stage is beyond brilliant - I don't like all of his fashion stuff or his constant pandering.

Paul's performance was great. I loved the show. Point about atmosphere is valid - Prince shows' and other shows like that have incredible energy that takes concerts to another level. I saw P-Funk a few times and i never saw such energy and enthusiasm.

Paul's show feature some incredible fans like the ones on this forum. But, it did feature at least in my section and i can speak for other folks who told me the same thing (I was close to the stage) - Some old folks who embarassed themselves by talking during the new songs, going to bathroom during the show, getting up several times during the show (bothering the piss out of me). If i had a gun and you moved during Paul's performance, you should not only be shot but beaten like you was a punk gettin' on Tyson! When you got to a Prince or P-Funk show, you don't have fourty-fifty year old suburban fools who embarass themselves and bother others. OK>

I appreciated what Paul did for the Firefighters and the WTC victims. And i think it was great that he pulled all of the people together for the performance. I have major issues with artists like Julia Roberts or George Clooney pluggin' their films and videos while appealing for WTC fund.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours