favorite guitarists

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby airdog » Thu May 16, 2002 11:18 am

a drunk fan once accosted Groucho as if the great man would recognize him. Groucho's reply: "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception."
airdog

Postby Ram1 » Thu May 16, 2002 11:19 am

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

~The Great Groucho
Ram1

Postby airdog » Thu May 16, 2002 11:23 am

"Who is Shirley?"---Groucho Marx

PS: does anybody remember the Marx Brothers' unattractive older sister, "Alpo"?
airdog

Postby Ram1 » Thu May 16, 2002 11:28 am

quote:PS: does anybody remember the Marx Brothers' unattractive older sister, "Alpo"?

Was she the one who looked like Mikail Gorbachev?

"Who stole the cork from my breakfast?"

~WC Fields
Ram1

Postby airdog » Thu May 16, 2002 11:41 am

Hey! Just because Gorby has a tattoo of a map of Italy on his forehead, does this make him any less handsome?
I still can't believe that the Gorbster got the Nobel Peace Prize over Big Ron, and "Headlights" Thatcher! They practically invented the cat!

"Awards are like hemorrhoids; in the end, every a-hole gets one."---Ned Flanders
airdog

Postby Liam OSM » Sat May 25, 2002 6:40 am

This morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How an elephant got into my pyjamas, I'll never know.

The one, the only, Groucho!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby airdog » Sat May 25, 2002 12:14 pm

"I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book."
---Groucho Marx
PS: I think there really is a direct line of subversive comedy that runs from the Marx Bros., through Peter Sellers, The Goon Show, The Beatles, Monty Python, SNL, SCTV...seems these days most "comics" are self-obsessed navel gazers. Python credits the Fabs as major inspirations. I've gotta admit though, watching much of the Python episodes nowadays can be a tad grating...all the endless shrieking...but there's still a sh*tload of brilliant moments. And "Holy Grail" and "Fawlty Towers", tough to beat. Terry Gilliam's "Time Bandits" "Brazil" "12 Monkeys"(one of my fave flix ever...)Also, can't deny the George Harrison angle here..."Hand Made Films" and all that!
George never got credit for his super wry and dry sense of humor...or for his devastating left-cross,right upper-cut combo that left many an unsuspecting journalist reeling in dazed anguish.

Edited by - airdog on 05/25/2002 12:49:56
airdog

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 25, 2002 1:09 pm

I've always thought about the John Lennon/Groucho connection. In fact, I think John was even quoted as saying that The Marx Bros. were a huge inspiration. A great movie is 'Animal Crackers.' I think I'll dig that one out and watch that soon. The Marx Bros. were WELL ahead of their time. The comedy is absolutely genius. You have to be really quick and attentive to every single word they say, because they use a lot of genius play on words. (Much like Lennon.) And you pick something new up every time you watch one of their films.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Sat May 25, 2002 1:09 pm

Don't forget Morecambe & Wise, or the Two Ronnies - classic comedy double-acts.

I'd never belong to any club that would accept me as a member.
- the inimitable Groucho, again!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby airdog » Sat May 25, 2002 2:04 pm

William Claude Dukenfield: Maybe the king of 'em all....

"A woman drove me to drink, and I never even had the courtesy to thank her."
"My illness is due to my doctor's insistence that I drink milk, a whitish fluid they force down helpless babies."
"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced for days to live on nothing but food and water."
---W.C. Fields

Edited by - airdog on 05/25/2002 14:06:24
airdog

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions