BOTR voted best album by MACCA-forum members

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:19 am

Ugh. [xx(]

Sorry, but I could never get going with Off The Ground. (The song.) I've always thought it was pretty weak and lame. Especially the chorus, "Off the ground la la la la la la la....Fly around la la la la...." Ugh. [xx(]
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:43 am

I thought the mix was horrible on that song. There were parts of it I liked, but Ram's right...that LALALALA part was very weak. It seemed hurried and unfinished, like much of that album, to me. If Macca makes a followup to Driving Rain as lame as his FITD followup, I'll be very surprised.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:08 am

quote:It seemed hurried and unfinished, like much of that album, to me. If Macca makes a followup to Driving Rain as lame as his FITD followup, I'll be very surprised.

Steve-o, great points. Off the Ground seemed very "hurried and unfinished" to me as well. A couple of the songs just seem kinda thrown together. (Off The Ground being one.) Looking for Changes is another one...EXCELLENT lryics. Great meaning. I've learned a lot from my PETA-member girlfriend, and the lab animal situation is just horrendous. However, MUSICALLY, I think it's one of the lamest songs Paul has ever written. There a few on the album I really like though. Like Hope of Deliverance, Get Out of My Way, and C'mon People. I also like Biker Like an Icon, a song which I hear a lot of people dislike. But I don't know, all in all, the songs grouped together, this album just seems sort of uninspired to me.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:15 am

Exactly Ram. Although Biker is not one of my faves, I like the music and vocal delivery on it. The wrods make me cringe a bit. I agree with the ones you like--no doubt. Of the others: Some have GREAT melodies (shock!! haha) and just dreadful lyrics. (Golden Earth Girl). Although FITD featured some songs with these players, this is really the only studio effort by that version of Paul's band. (geez..if Hamish was so good how come I didnt hear many backing vocals mixed with him out front, ala This One?) It just feels like he had 4 or so good songs, and threw them in with a bunch of stuff that wasn't good enough for FITD, and added a few hurried ones. HURRY..get the album out before the new world tour.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby megs » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:25 pm

quote:Acoustic stuff gets boring? Megs, you, you . . . I am speechless! ... it's a good album but i could'nt listen to the whole album at once b/c i would get bored after a while cus basicly the whole album is acustic, but FP is a good album[8)]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:56 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
[quote]...A couple of the songs just seem kinda thrown together. (Off The Ground being one.) Looking for Changes is another one...EXCELLENT lyrics. Great meaning. [...] However, MUSICALLY, I think it's one of the lamest songs Paul has ever written.

Just like Freedom. Man that one sucks musically.

But then again Give Peace A Chance isn't musically great either, but I DO like it. Why's that?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:33 am

Freedom, I love, GPAC, I think is cheesy.

OTG, I just love the melody, and the fact that the vocal delivery is more like a ballad, over a rock backing . . . my fave song off that album, with the possible exception of GOOMW.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Aujouret » Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:44 pm

quote:Originally posted by megs
...all those albums r great but after awhile i get tired of listening to flaming pie b/c it's mostly acustic stuff and that gets boring after awhile but it's a good album though[:I]

I think that must be why I love FP. That acoustic stuff. It's like Paul is right there just playing it on his guitar, so natural.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:51 pm

My sweet Paulie...LOL I always have that image of him playing hat song to Linda on the DVD for "In the World Tonight"..great stuff/...
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:54 pm

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ram1
Well, I can KINDA see what she's saying, OSM. When FP came out, I was INSTANTLY in love with it. And I still do love it. However, being such a mellow album, I think it was about time for Paul to ROCK again. And fortunately he does with Driving Rain.

I like rock as much as the next man, but you don't need heavy loud music to have powerful music. And songs like Somedays have that unassuming power about them that comes from this kind of song . . .
[/quote]
Oh yes, Liam, Somedays is so beautiful. Lots of lovely poignant songs
on that album. Little Willow, Beautiful Night, Song We Were Singing. I like hearing Paul singing about Maureen and Lin and John.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions