Mistakes on Beatles recordings

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby dakota » Fri May 24, 2002 4:52 pm

I've discovered some errors in Beatle recordings. One for example, DAY TRIPPER. There's 2 seconds of audio dropout on the left channel near the beginning of the last set of verses.

There's one that was pointed out from a book source-
Paul flubbs-up a 5 or 6 note bass line in the middle of FIXING A HOLE.

How about the part in SLOW DOWN when John, who's double-tracking his lead vocal, sings "boyfriend" the first time, then the second time singing 'girlfriend" right on top of the boyfriend vocal. To me that mistake appears so obvious that I wouldn't be surprised if it were intentional.

Does anyone out there have some good ones to share?
dakota

Postby dakota » Fri May 24, 2002 4:52 pm

I've discovered some errors in Beatle recordings. One for example, DAY TRIPPER. There's 2 seconds of audio dropout on the left channel near the beginning of the last set of verses.

There's one that was pointed out from a book source-
Paul flubbs-up a 5 or 6 note bass line in the middle of FIXING A HOLE.

How about the part in SLOW DOWN when John, who's double-tracking his lead vocal, sings "boyfriend" the first time, then the second time singing 'girlfriend" right on top of the boyfriend vocal. To me that mistake appears so obvious that I wouldn't be surprised if it were intentional.

Does anyone out there have some good ones to share?
dakota

Postby Ram1 » Fri May 24, 2002 7:10 pm

Dakota, good post, man. And good ears. I will definitely be looking out for those "mistakes" next time I listen. The only one I can think of off the top of my head right now is the end of 'In My Life.' I've noticed it for years, and always wondered why they didn't fix it. After the very final note, there is a guitar note that is held a bit too long, and it sounds very "twangy." Being a guitarist, I know that exact sound all too well. It usually happens when you pluck a note, and your finger isn't perfectly on the fret, therefore creating the "twangy" sound. It most often happens with beginning guitarists. I always thought that was interesting.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 25, 2002 12:29 am

That was Ringo? I always thought Mike McGear was the session musician on that one.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 25, 2002 12:36 am

I'm sorry, you're right. My mental faculties are failing me after I just finished watching The Lakers get beat like Ron Jeremy by Sacramento. Oh yeah, I wanted Sacramento to win anyway.

"Is this the Pinnochio site?"
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 25, 2002 12:52 am

"All you need is a Shaq Combo from Burger King."

~The Beatles. (The song they performed on their live 1967 global satellite show, advertising the scrumptious sourdough bacon cheeseburger, which comes with fries, free cheese dipping sauce, and a drink.)
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 25, 2002 1:01 am

"I'm a man. I have needs."

~Mike Tyson
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sat May 25, 2002 1:19 am

"I agree."

~Hannibal Lechter
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Sat May 25, 2002 5:35 am

About a minute into the single version of Let It Be, there's a funny swishing sound, how's that for an oddity? Especially when it's not in the album version!

Oh, thanks for that on Slow Down, dakota - it always bugged me that I couldn't make out that line. That's probably going to be some help!

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Sat May 25, 2002 5:44 am

Ontopic again:

In Paperback Writer you hear Paul (I think it's Paul) clearing his throat before the verses. It's in the right channel. And you hear John doing some attempts on the pitch of the note of "Frère Jacques", the background vocals before he actually has to sing them.

In Eleanor Rigby, the opening "Ahhh look at all the lonely people" is artificially doubletracked (ADT). They forgot to turn it off, so the first two syllables of "Eleanor" are still doubletracked. This is fixed in the remastered Yellow Submarine Songtrack version.

In Hey Jude you hear John saying "***censored*** hell! Wrong chord!" after about 3 minutes, when the song goes into the nanananaa part.

Someone said that the solo in Polythene Pam is one bar too late. You hear John shout "Play!" and then George starts to play. Don't know if that's true.

Only PW is discovered by myself, there's a website by some freak who discovered like a hundred of those little mistakes.

By the way, dakota, the messed-up bassline in Fixing A Hole still sounds nice. I think he starts one count too early, but quickly corrects it.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions