Jeff Lynne on George's new album

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby The Man » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:10 am

I agree with Ram1 stevew628. I heard the original demo of FAAB and John's vocals were very muddy. They did a great job to clean them up for the single that they eventually presented. Without using John's vocals the project would not have been meaningful to the other Beatles. FAAB is a great song, I'm disappointed it didn't make it to #1.
The Man

Postby Aujouret » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:04 am

I heard the original demo of FAAB and I thought John's vocals were very clear and I think Jeff Lynne muddyed them up, which I didn't like at all. I love FAAB, anyway.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:10 am

I do like both songs - if it wasn't for the demo-usage, Real Love would be 10/10 for me. FAAB is not quite as great, but I do like it a lot, nice melody, nice lyrics.

And I do get what you're saying, Ram, Steve - they needed John for it to be The Beatles properly. But I'm not talking about it being The Beatles, I was simply saying about the recordings. There is a difference.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:56 am

quote:if it wasn't for the demo-usage, Real Love would be 10/10 for me.

Liam, you and your demo-usage. LOL. If a song is 10/10, then it's 10/10. If a song is fantastic, then a song is fantastic. It doesn't matter if the recording is bad or not. (Which, in this case, I don't think is bad.) Yes, John's vocals were a tad muddy, compared to what they would have been if he were in the studio with the rest of the lads. But, all in all, I think they did a great job in cleaning it up.
Ram1

Postby Rundevilrun » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:19 pm

what's wrong with jeff lynne's style??
Rundevilrun

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:38 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
quote:if it wasn't for the demo-usage, Real Love would be 10/10 for me.

Liam, you and your demo-usage. LOL. If a song is 10/10, then it's 10/10. If a song is fantastic, then a song is fantastic. It doesn't matter if the recording is bad or not. (Which, in this case, I don't think is bad.) Yes, John's vocals were a tad muddy, compared to what they would have been if he were in the studio with the rest of the lads. But, all in all, I think they did a great job in cleaning it up.

Oh, I fully agree on that - but for a better analogy, you shoul listen to the Queen and Freddie Mercury solo versions of the song "Made In Heaven". The Queen version is a surefire 10/10, while the Freddie version took a lot longer to grow on me, and I have eventually given it 7/10, as the SONG itself is great, but the RECORDING is not so great. Arrangement and all that . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:38 pm

quote:Originally posted by Rundevilrun
what's wrong with jeff lynne's style??

That's what I say, too!
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:34 pm

It's too repetitive...just annoying, mostly for me. I guess you have to be a huge ELO fan to really like his style. Paul tamed him, best, though.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:29 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
It's too repetitive...just annoying, mostly for me. I guess you have to be a huge ELO fan to really like his style. Paul tamed him, best, though.

Flaming Pie . . . masterpiece. One of my all time fave albums by anyone.
Liam OSM

Postby Wings » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:33 am

Flaming Pie is great. Shows Paul still has it. Didn't it do good on the charts, Like #2? I know it was nominated for best album wasn't it?
Love the song Flaming Pie. Would have loved to see Paul do that or 1985 in concert instaed of doing the funny version of You Never Give Me Your Money. But anyway yes Paul did tone down the ELO sound.

I stand corected, Thanks Steve.
Wings

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE