McCartney Medal of freedom

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:32 pm

When McCartney gets his medal of freedom, i hope President Bush and Paul McCartney doesn't try to politicize the event. I just hope there's no side agreement where McCartney has to pander to one of Heather's pet projects or that Bush tries to use McCartney's fame to publicize one of the administration's policies. It would be nice if McCartney accepts the award for what it is - a cultural award and he doesn't try to politicize it and ruin the classiness of it. I mean wouldn't it be kind of awkward for Paul to stand up and get the award and in his nervousness go "Woooo...." or say something catty like "Go Veggie" or "Ban Land-Mines cause they're bad" or as we have seen him do so many times in the past "Yo" (arm raised in the air).

I'd prefer the event to be classy, dignified ,and respectful. Many of Paul's awards (Grammy's, American music awards) have been really awful. Merryl Streep gave him an award at the AMA's and it was weak. I thought Neil Young's introduction speech was ok at the hall of fame but even that was kind of wrong? Neil Young? Why not George martin? I wish Paul would be more ceremonial because it is the PResident and the nation. Because i think it would be a little disrespectful for both McCartney and Bush to use the medal as a platform for their policies. Keep it about the music. Don't embarass Paul and further don't embarass the awards.

I remember when Ellie Weasil got the medal of freedom and he went off on Prez Reagan for going to an SS cemetary. It was awkward, undignified, and it really created a big backlash against Ellie Weasil. Let's hope Paul doesn't spend a 1/2 hour lecturing the President on why land-mines are bad. After all, if Paul had children in the military and the land mines saved his son and his platoon, he might think differently.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:32 pm

When McCartney gets his medal of freedom, i hope President Bush and Paul McCartney doesn't try to politicize the event. I just hope there's no side agreement where McCartney has to pander to one of Heather's pet projects or that Bush tries to use McCartney's fame to publicize one of the administration's policies. It would be nice if McCartney accepts the award for what it is - a cultural award and he doesn't try to politicize it and ruin the classiness of it. I mean wouldn't it be kind of awkward for Paul to stand up and get the award and in his nervousness go "Woooo...." or say something catty like "Go Veggie" or "Ban Land-Mines cause they're bad" or as we have seen him do so many times in the past "Yo" (arm raised in the air).

I'd prefer the event to be classy, dignified ,and respectful. Many of Paul's awards (Grammy's, American music awards) have been really awful. Merryl Streep gave him an award at the AMA's and it was weak. I thought Neil Young's introduction speech was ok at the hall of fame but even that was kind of wrong? Neil Young? Why not George martin? I wish Paul would be more ceremonial because it is the PResident and the nation. Because i think it would be a little disrespectful for both McCartney and Bush to use the medal as a platform for their policies. Keep it about the music. Don't embarass Paul and further don't embarass the awards.

I remember when Ellie Weasil got the medal of freedom and he went off on Prez Reagan for going to an SS cemetary. It was awkward, undignified, and it really created a big backlash against Ellie Weasil. Let's hope Paul doesn't spend a 1/2 hour lecturing the President on why land-mines are bad. After all, if Paul had children in the military and the land mines saved his son and his platoon, he might think differently.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:42 pm

And i'm not saying that land mines or any of Paul's veggie issues are bad mind you. I'm just saying awards shows and cerermonies should be dignifed and speeches should be kept to the art itself. And it shouldn't be a political speech. I'd like to see that at the Kennedy Center honors with Paul because it's our nation's highest civilian honor and it just should be treated with respect and not a silly "one or two word" political item.

Who knows maybe George W..and Paul can share a doobie in the white house basement and talk about the true meaning of "Turn me on, Dead-man"...and the real meaning of the song "monkberry moon delight".

I think Paul and George W. would get along real good cause both like to party
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:57 pm

I still think Paul smokes a little dope now and then
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:01 am

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers

I have to disagree. I think he said in an interview that he doesn't anymore.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:47 pm

And didn't Bush have a drugs or alcohol problem when he was young(er)?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr. kite » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:11 pm

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers

Maybe true, potheads never die, they just fade away.[8D]
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:39 am

quote:And didn't Bush have a drugs or alcohol problem when he was young(er)?

Alcohol, Brains. But he hasn't even had a sip in about 15 years. I know he tried cocaine once. Personally, I say what's the big deal? Clinton smoked rope, Bush snorted coke once. We all make youthful indiscretions. Even Presidents.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:40 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
quote:And didn't Bush have a drugs or alcohol problem when he was young(er)?

Alcohol, Brains. But he hasn't even had a sip in about 15 years. I know he tried cocaine once. Personally, I say what's the big deal? Clinton smoked rope, Bush snorted coke once. We all make youthful indiscretions. Even Presidents.

I don't! [:0]
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:10 pm

Liam is perfect, everyone.....[:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions