Paul needs to do this!!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:31 pm

quote:All I want is to meet Macca and then Heather....and message to Heather...

"Please believe me....I wouldn't do you no harm....."

HAHA. It's true, Heather! It's true! Steve is really a nice, normal guy. He's just a life-long Maccamaniac! [:D]

quote:I will give him props for I'm Down, except for the timing thing.

Hmmm...well I don't think I'm Down was terrible, but it just seemed to me that Paul didn't put enough into it, vocally. I guess it just goes back to the thing that his voice was massively under-rehearsed. However, Rusty's guitar solo on I'm Down was SMOKIN'!! It was Rusty's debut to the world (at least with Macca), and I just remember thinking, "Who IS this guy?? He's given a whole new sound to Macca's music! YES!" As for the accapella Yesterday, yeah that was pretty bad. Well actually, it was OK, until the final "Mmmmmmmm mmm mmm mmm" where his voice cracked. I was like "Nooooooooooooooo!!" LOL
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:43 pm

We agree on Im Down..kind of, LOL....I think he put a great deal of effort into it, but didnt have alot there. The octive was the original, and I like how he tried, but it scared me, because I came away thinking...awesome..he really tried..i guess he's kind of finally showing his age....and that's OK..it was just great to see him..AND that smoking guitar player and drummer..... and If that had been the worst one, i'd have been estatic. But I think it was the BEST one. Then he tours 6 months later and just blows THOSE and everyone else's performances away.....amazing///
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:58 pm

quote:We agree on Im Down..kind of, LOL....I think he put a great deal of effort into it, but didnt have alot there.

Good point, Steve. I think I may change my tune about I'm Down. You're right, I think he really DID try. I mean, I have never seen Macca NOT try. Like you said, he tried his hardest, but just didn't have a lot there during that performance. But yes, when April came around, all doubt was cast away. I saw the best performance of my life. Long live El Macca!!
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:05 pm

Besides....during I'm down, we got to see him do that classic face crinkle when he's doing his little richard shred, which was very cool..never thought Id see that again--it WAS just so great to see him...and then Rusty.....to quote NB...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He WAS smokin!

it's funny..but the CFNYC reminded me of two other benefits that I thought he didnt do well at....

Let It Be at Live Aid in 1985 and Long Tall Sally at The Princes Trust in 1986....but were under-rehearsed and his voice sounded shot...he DID sound good at Monserrat, though...so that blows my theroty, LOL
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dakota » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:35 pm

What other type of gigs do you guys think Paul should do??

[/quote]
He should play at my next backyard party!
dakota

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:36 pm

Dakota....if you DO get him, please remember your forum buds. I will also clean and do light yard work for a period of one year if invited. Provided that you feed me nightly. Let us know how the invitations go............[:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. kite » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:58 pm

Dakota, count me in, I can record the whole event for bootleg distribution around the world.[:D]
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby darkeyes » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:59 am

This has nothing to do with the material. I cant speak about overseas, but in the U.S. hits and album sales are all about marketing. And of course marketing is done by the record label. There is no reason why someone like Cher, Santana, Tina Turner, etc. can have multiplatnum albums decades after their prime years (60's&70's) and be plastered all over the radio and VH1/MTV and yet the most prolific singer/songwriter/musician isn't even a blip on the radar screen. The radio plays some of the worst & boring music I have ever heard. Its just that the marketing is so intense that people go out and buy this stuff simply cos its on the radio 24/7. A ton of his songs from recent albums could've been No. 1 hits if they were just given the proper exposure. I've got to wonder if Capitol is really behind him or if its simply not important to him to have a #1 single anymore.
darkeyes

Postby Ram1 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:12 am

Exactly. I agree with all your points, Darkeyes. Paul could EASILY be number one in the charts. It's all about MARKETING!
Ram1

Postby maccafan » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:17 pm

It took awhile but great post everybody!! After reading your post I went back and watched my CNYC tape. I'm Down rocked, Paul just needed a rythm guitarist to round out his band. His voice sounds fine to me, I always look forward to Paul performing new material so Lonely Road was the highlight for me, Rusty Andersons solo just cooked!!
I don't like FALTAF so it was in my opinion a terrible choice, Paul should have done Driving Rain or About You. To be honest, I think Paul just wants to do what he wants, keep it simple, not fuss over it to much and just have fun. Sometimes I think it's us fans who want more for him!!
Marketing has a lot to do with it, but have you seen the infomercial for the Stones Forty Licks CD?? I call it an infomercial because that's what it looks like!! I also want to make the comment that don't forget Paul has toured the world several times, so people are more familiar with Wings music than we may think!!
Paul needs to do more high profile gigs, he needs to rock when he does them, and he needs to do his music, not the Beatles!! I mean imagine if Paul went on MTV and did Smile Away, The Mess, Girlschool, Stranglehold, 1985, Hi Hi Hi, and Juniors Farm!!
Every jaw in the place would drop!!!!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions