Paul needs to do this!!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Paul needs to do this!!

Postby maccafan » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:54 pm

Paul needs to do a good hot rocking set at the House Of Blues, or rock out at the Grammys or the American Music Awards!! The touring is absolutely awesome, but these type of gigs would go a long way in putting Paul more in the current music mainstream!!
What other type of gigs do you guys think Paul should do??
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:57 pm

You're right, maccafan. A couple of us actually mentioned something along those lines a while back. If Paul played on MTV or, like you said, a major awards show, sales of DR AND his popularity would go through the roof. Well, he did play at the Oscars this past year, but it was Vanilla Sky. Like you said, he needs to rock out. If Paul came on MTV or an awards show, and played something like About You, man, it would be one of the most memorable performances ever.
Ram1

Postby Rundevilrun » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:38 am

sales of driving rain will not go up if he plays songs from the album... the only thing casual fans know about paul mccartney, is that he was the cute guy from a group called the beatles. they know some of the songs, but couldn't tell you much anything else. they know john lennon was murdered and had no clue what the heck wings were. the only way paul is going to sell albums to the mainstream public, is if the new material sounds just like the beatles, or are beatle remakes. we all know how the latter of the two goes over. unfortunatly, he's going to have to live off of his past if he wants to be successful with the "pop" audience.
Rundevilrun

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:47 am

I agree with some of your post, RDR. But disagree with other points. I don't think Paul has to necessarily live off his past to be successful in the mainstream market again. I feel there are many songs from Driving Rain that could actually be HUGE hits. Like Maccafan and I said, it's all in the marketing of the material. If Paul had some big VH1 or MTV special, in which the majority of the songs he performed were DR songs, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever, that sales of DR would skyrocket. The reason the majority of the public doesn't know about Driving Rain is because they haven't heard it. It has been VERY poorly marketed.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
It has been VERY poorly marketed.
Great post. And the above statement is the biggest factor, IMHO. No marketing hardly at all: poor outside markings on the product itself (who is it?)...Laimo TV spots on CMT of all places....Poor selection for first single release, and I hate to say it, but I think Macca hurt himself with his weak performnce of the new songs at the CFNYC...all of the above contributed. But--if he had been as polished and road worthy as he and his band are today, and he did about 5 numbers at something like CFNYC (I'm not wishing for another reason to have one of those, folks, trust me), he would SHOCK people. I expect the new product from the tour will be very good sellers, especially since he's smart enough to let network TV have 24 songs to broadcast from the tour. we shall see,....

And please don't anyone comapre FP sales to DR. There was a HUGE overshipment on that one that pumped up the sales artificiallly
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:42 pm

EXACTLY, Steve. Quite frankly, when I saw the initial commercial for Driving Rain, I was pretty embarassed. It was more like an infomercial. Why they ever decided to air that commercial, I'll never know. It made Paul look like a washed up has-been. It showed Paul sitting at the piano, lip-syncing FALTAF. With an announcer doing a really lame voice-over, something like "Buy the latest from Paul McCartney, featuring the single FALTAF." They might as well have just brought fitness guru Tony Little out in the middle of it to promote his newest thigh machine. It was very truly embarassing. I also agree with your point, Steve, about CFNYC. It was Paul's debut of the new material, (in front of a NATIONWIDE audience, no less), and his voice was VERY bad and the band seemed extremely under-rehearsed. That could have led to the initial downfall of DR as well.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:59 pm

Right, Rammie. My son and DIL watched the CFNYC with me. I was intitially excited to finally see him again, but I knew he didnt sound good. (Except for Im Down, but he was off in timing on that one). They were too polite to really say much that night/...flash forward to one year later, they were SHOCKED at the HUGE difference in voice and band.

macca---let Ram and me and a few others do your marketing---we'll do it for free. We'd LOVE to have more people exposed to you--and we know how....(Come back to reality Steve)
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:13 pm

quote:Right, Rammie. My son and DIL watched the CFNYC with me. I was intitially excited to finally see him again, but I knew he didnt sound good.

Right, Steve. Being the little Maccamaniac that I am (man, we're coining new phrases everyday, aren't we? LOL), I kept trying to "lie" to myself, trying to make myself believe that he sounded good that night. But I knew better. It was a very bad performance. Of course, for a great cause and I'm glad he was there. But from a musical standpoint, it was pretty frustrating for me, because I thought about the "casual" fan watching, thinking that maybe Paul was washed up.

quote:macca---let Ram and me and a few others do your marketing---we'll do it for free. We'd LOVE to have more people exposed to you--and we know how...

Yeah, no doubt, man. I wouldn't ask for a penny either. Geoff, are you listening? Where are you?? LOL
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:19 pm

All I want is to meet Macca and then Heather....and message to Heather...

"Please believe me....I wouldn't do you no harm....."
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:22 pm

CFNYC: I will give him props for I'm Down, except for the timing thing. FALTAF and LR were badly underehearsed, vocal-wise..yesterday was good in certain parts, but he couldnt hit the high notes....man--if anyone is out there and only saw him do that, and didnt buy his record....get your butts out there and buy it, and then get your butts out there and see him...you'll see what i mean.......
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions